Jenn's 55gal native species build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearchumjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I started out planning for saltwater and I'm going to convert this to saltwater eventually. But it's expensive and I don't want to have an empty tank sitting around the house. That's just boring. So, with the help of my husband we have decided to do a native species tank. This way when it comes time to switch to marine I can easily rehome the fish to the river. We are planning on having bass, feeder goldfish, a catfish (if we can catch a little one), and some bluegill, all caught from the Columbia river. Please don't tell me my tank isn't big enough. I know the fish will not be able to live in it forever and this is just temporary. As the fish get larger we will put them back in the river or have them for dinner. So, here is the start of it. I went to the river and collected rocks for the substrate and some large rocks for display. I washed them and soaked them in bleach and rinsed them really well. I will add a dechlorinator when I am done adding the rocks. I am going to begin cycling tomorrow by buying a goldfish. I will test my water daily and make sure to do pwc's as needed. Here's a picture of the tank so far! :D. I had just put in the rocks so that's why the water is cloudy.

Best of luck with the native tank. There are mixed opinions on whether or not to return fish back to the wild, I'm in the 'undecided' area since I know it's regular practice for different school groups and conservatory-type groups to do so, but there are plenty of people who have longwinded reasoning as to why it's a bad idea.

Depending on the species you go with, you might be able to completely skip the feeder fish, they really aren't a good healthy food source anyhow.

I'm going to be researching it like crazy so I know what's best to feed them. I know there's mixed opinions. There are always mixed opinions about everything! But that's ok. :)

Got all the rocks in! I added an Anubias from my betta tank and used a piece of his filter to seed one of the new filters. I have to buy a castle from petco tomorrow to put in the tank for the kids. And a background. :)

View attachment 84915

It will look tons better once the water clears up.

Very interested in this as well! I am highly considering a native fish tank, and am also from WA state! :D
We have some very cool fish here in our waters and I'm learning piece by piece... I'm subscribing to your thread, and best of luck to you!

You probably already know this but one thing to remember when collecting natives is to make sure you are compliant with any collection laws and regulations. I recall the regs in WA being pretty strict with collection of some natives but not sure how that applies to hook and line and game fish.

jetajockey said:
You probably already know this but one thing to remember when collecting natives is to make sure you are compliant with any collection laws and regulations. I recall the regs in WA being pretty strict with collection of some natives but not sure how that applies to hook and line and game fish.

I was just trying to find laws about that! :)

Here it is so far. The water cleared up nicely. Going to add a goldfish today and get that background I need.

I can't wait to see this come together. I used to have native fish when I was younger. I once caught a bass and he spit out a baby turtle.

dlongbeach said:
I can't wait to see this come together. I used to have native fish when I was younger. I once caught a bass and he spit out a baby turtle.

Wow!! A baby turtle?! It should be pretty neat. We're going to let the kids catch some crawdad's too. They are neat little critters.

Just be prepared to explain the laws of nature if you combine crayfish and bass, as the crayfish will quickly become dinner to a larger bass. Of course if the bass are small and the crayfish are hungry, the bass could be dinner LOL.

Wy Renegade said:
Just be prepared to explain the laws of nature if you combine crayfish and bass, as the crayfish will quickly become dinner to a larger bass. Of course if the bass are small and the crayfish are hungry, the bass could be dinner LOL.

It's all science!

The fish have been properly acclimated and are now in the tank. Here's some not so good pictures of them. I'm going to get one more for my older daughter when school is over. I also planted some water wisteria and micro sword.

Iv always wanted to do a native tank but just havnt gotten to it yet, great idea tho!! I'm from OK and my profile pic is a small sunfish I caught in a creek close to my house so as you can see native fish can be very pretty. Good luck! I'll Definately be checking in on your build!

janky said:
Very interested in this as well! I am highly considering a native fish tank, and am also from WA state! :D
We have some very cool fish here in our waters and I'm learning piece by piece... I'm subscribing to your thread, and best of luck to you!

Hey! Your from the other side of the state. Have you been to the sturgeon exhibit at the bonneville dam? I think that's the one... Anyway, the fish hatchery there. Those sturgeon are awesome!

We may go down to the Sportsmans store and get one of those "minnow catcher" things so we can catch tiny bass instead of "pretty much almost grown you could eat them in a few months" size bass. We also have to go catch crawdad's. They had one in the tank of Goldie's at petco. They wouldn't sell it to me because apparently its illegal to sell them in WA state.

Did my first water test. Looks good! I was hoping I wouldn't have to do a pwc and I won't have to today!

Nitrates in my tap water are high, thus making them high in the fish rank. I'll be adding more plants. :)

Sadly one of the goldfish died. It's really not surprising. They are kept in horrible conditions in the feeder fish tank. When the clerk took the lid off the feeder tank you could smell the stinky water. Anyway, down to 2 comets goldfish and 2 common goldfish. Luckily I had noticed The fish was dying so I got him out right away after he died. I tested the water again to make sure the ammonia was ok and it was still at 0. Nitrites were 0. PH is 7.8.

The worst part will be when my oldest child finds out "Dolphin" is gone when she wakes up in the morning.

janky said:

I looked into the laws while talking to Jeta about native tanks awhile back. It is illegal to collect fish in Washington state for the purpose of keeping in a home aquaria.

Back
Top Bottom