Jordan's 100 gallon FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Um you mean the one that this thread is about? What happened?

That was quick.

Uh oh, that's usually not a good sign. Hope all is well.

Yep! This one! Didn't mean to make it sound like a bad thing. For once its a good sign! All is well. I did a test on my tank, it isn't drillable. I did, however, find an already drilled 150 gallon with an existing sump for $200. I'm putting money down on it today and picking it up on Thursday. I know it's larger, and that in itself is more expensive, but the cost of building a sump will be gone and I will have more peace of mind with a drilled tank, even though I had started considering a hanging system.

I am definitely going to need to invest in an RODI system now though. Either way, I'm excited!

From a 55 to a 150 with a sump is awesome. Nice find. Now you need to start another thread. Lol.

From a 55 to a 150 with a sump is awesome. Nice find. Now you need to start another thread. Lol.

Lol. Thanks! Ahhh. I don't want to start another new thread. Maybe a moderator could help me change it?

I'm super excited and pretty nervous. It's more complete. But I'm still insistent on having LED lights. So this will still definitely take a while! Plus, now I need even more rock and sand and everything. It's going to be so tall! I'm going to have to buy a step stool just for my tank. Lol.

Well, I had a super disappointing day. Went to the storage building to pick up the 150 gallon and his movers tore the top rim of the tank off. He had a 100 gallon tank that has about a 20 gallon sump with hanging plumbing system. I think it's quite a bit longer than my tank but not as wide. I didn't think it was enough different than mine to spend $200. He also was selling a 300 gallon tank that's drilled and has a sump. It's acrylic instead of glass. I'm just not sure I'm up to that challenge yet. Lol. Plus my boyfriend said that theres no way. :( So I'm going to assume I'm using the tank I have for now. If something else comes up between now and then, maybe something will change.

I've thought about maybe making an offer on this tank. They still have it.

http://lubbock.craigslist.org/for/3801783079.html

And I WISH I could have this one. But there's no way I could drop $3,500. Even thought its probably worth it.

http://lubbock.craigslist.org/for/3835953080.html

A 300 gallon is a great tank size, but just the salt alone can get pretty expensive, not to mention lighting, big filtration and stocking. If you are unsure where to start, 100-150 gallons is a good compromise. And if its a long, shallower tank, you can even keep most tangs.

A 300 gallon is a great tank size, but just the salt alone can get pretty expensive, not to mention lighting, big filtration and stocking. If you are unsure where to start, 100-150 gallons is a good compromise. And if its a long, shallower tank, you can even keep most tangs.

Yep. I agree. 300 gallons is way too much to take on when I'm this inexperienced. Would swapping my tank out for a longer one give me more stocking options?

IMO, if I had to choose the optimum tank it would be as long as possible. Most of the popular fish need room to swim laps. A shallower tank is easier to keep corals in and the lighting doesn't have to be as intense as a tank that's 30" or deeper as an example.

IMO, if I had to choose the optimum tank it would be as long as possible. Most of the popular fish need room to swim laps. A shallower tank is easier to keep corals in and the lighting doesn't have to be as intense as a tank that's 30" or deeper as an example.

That's good info. Thanks! Did some measuring. Turns out he other tank only looked longer because the stand had 3 doors and mine has 2. So a little bummed, but still excited about this build.

I'm going to paint the back of this tank before filling it up. Any suggestions on background colors? I'm also working on a chronological list of things I need to do before setting it up. I'll be posting that soon.

Investments I'm going to make in order:

1st - RODI System (need that for existing tanks)
2nd - Build lid for tank (does it need do have a hole for LED lights to shine through?)
3rd - Eshopps overflow and tank for sump
Here is a link to what I'm planning on buying: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001K5IK8S/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1371937017&sr=8-2&pi=SL75
4th - lights
5th - building a tall canopy
6th - more rock

Any suggestions or anything I missed?? I'm also putting a cone skimmer in my sump. Reef octopus is way out of my price range. Any thoughts on this one?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0051GPM24/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?qid=1371937278&sr=8-8&pi=SL75

So are you sticking with the 100 that you had? Last I read I thought you were selling it for a bigger one..? Oh well.. Go to eBay and check out the sca-aquariums protein skimmers.. I bought one after reading several good reviews on them, and they are cheap.. I paid 120 shipped for mine and it works great, lots of dark skimmate!

So are you sticking with the 100 that you had? Last I read I thought you were selling it for a bigger one..? Oh well.. Go to eBay and check out the sca-aquariums protein skimmers.. I bought one after reading several good reviews on them, and they are cheap.. I paid 120 shipped for mine and it works great, lots of dark skimmate!

Great! That's awesome! Thank you!! I will check it out. I thought $300 was a bit steep.

That was the plan. Unfortunately, the deal on the 150 fell through. The top rim was torn off of the tank :( it was a bummer, but I'm moving forward with this tank anyway, excited as ever. :)

Awesome! I knew the 150 didn't work out but I guess I thought you were looking for another deal.. Either way a 100 is still a good upgrade.

When I was reading about the skimmer, I found a lot if people comparing it to the bubble magus skimmers, but from looking pics online, I think it looks more like the designs if the swc skimmers.. This is my first skimmer though and like I said, it's a champ and does a great job of pulling stuff out.

Awesome! I knew the 150 didn't work out but I guess I thought you were looking for another deal.. Either way a 100 is still a good upgrade. When I was reading about the skimmer, I found a lot if people comparing it to the bubble magus skimmers, but from looking pics online, I think it looks more like the designs if the swc skimmers.. This is my first skimmer though and like I said, it's a champ and does a great job of pulling stuff out.

I'm still keeping my eyes open, but I don't want that to delay the build for just that. :) 100 may be as big as I need. Lol.

Thanks! As soon as I have the time I'm going to see about getting something similar ordered. :) how big is your tank?

55g.. I have a 90 that I got a good deal on, but I am now reselling it to try and go to MACNA this fall.. Also I just want a bigger tank.. 150-180.. I found some good deals in Craigslist as well but tanks that size are just a little unrealistic for me and my circumstances at the moment.. All in time though, I will be extremely stoked just to go to MACNA!

55g.. I have a 90 that I got a good deal on, but I am now reselling it to try and go to MACNA this fall.. Also I just want a bigger tank.. 150-180.. I found some good deals in Craigslist as well but tanks that size are just a little unrealistic for me and my circumstances at the moment.. All in time though, I will be extremely stoked just to go to MACNA!

That's so cool!! With finding deals on aquariums, it's all about waiting. You'll find another good deal when you can and it'll be worth the experiences you will have at MACNA. It was in my area last year. I regret not being this into the hobby yet! Haha. You should post some pictures of the conference when you go. :)

Oh believe me, I definitely will.. I'm very excited. I have someone right now interested in buying the 90 so hopefully I can book the tickets soon. I need to take pictures of my 55 and post them.. I never did a build thread.. Oh well, I have a ton of pictures on my hard drive to document my progress.. I actually just saw a recent pic of it when it only had 2 rocks and 2 clownfish in it.. Lol

Oh believe me, I definitely will.. I'm very excited. I have someone right now interested in buying the 90 so hopefully I can book the tickets soon. I need to take pictures of my 55 and post them.. I never did a build thread.. Oh well, I have a ton of pictures on my hard drive to document my progress.. I actually just saw a recent pic of it when it only had 2 rocks and 2 clownfish in it.. Lol

Lol. I love looking back and seeing how much my tank has progressed. Especially since I spend most of my time focused on what I want it to be. Helps me appreciate where it is right now, ya know? You should definitely post pics of your tank. I enjoy having a build thread, too. I want to go sometime. I just finally got my boyfriend loving saltwater enough to get his own tank, so maybe sometime we'll get to. Haha

Back
Top Bottom