Jordan's 55 Gallon Reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe it looks like an 8.

Here's the tank today. I had a malfunction/almost electrical fire with the canister filter the other day, so filtration is awful right now. That's why I haven't added the shrimp yet.

Looks like an 8, sorry to hear about the canister mishap. Are you using anything for water movement?

Duh, just saw the hob filter in your pic.

It was definitely a learning experience! No more canister. I have the HOB on the front. I also have this one:

img_2326530_0_a74c98d30e5ca3664ef77275e7651bcc.jpg

That needs quite a bit of cleaning. The carbon needs replacing, also. Think that's something I should do? Is 8 good for my PH?

It was definitely a learning experience! No more canister. I have the HOB on the front. I also have this one:

That needs quite a bit of cleaning. The carbon needs replacing, also. Think that's something I should do? Is 8 good for my PH?

8.2 is where you want your PH. Do you have any marine buffer.

What do you think about using pure ammonia for the cycle?

Don't use carbon in your reef tank, it leeches phosphates back into your water.

Don't use carbon in your reef tank, it leeches phosphates back into your water.

Yikes. I have carbon running in my other tank. What are the best options? I've heard purigen is good?

That would be the fastest way.

How much should I put in if I do it that way? Should I wait and have more filtration before I do that?

Yikes. I have carbon running in my other tank. What are the best options? I've heard purigen is good.

How much should I put in if I do it that way? Should I wait and have more filtration before I do that?

Carbon isn't as big an issue in fresh water as it is in salt. Purigen is the way to go, imo.

You'll want decent water movement. Are you also running a power head? That filter will get the job done but you'll want a filter that will flip your water at least 4-5 times an hour for the best water quality. Dose the ammonia to 4. and redose when it reaches 1. Watch your PH and wait for nitrite to start showing up.

Carbon isn't as big an issue in fresh water as it is in salt. Purigen is the way to go, imo.

You'll want decent water movement. Are you also running a power head? That filter will get the job done but you'll want a filter that will flip your water at least 4-5 times an hour for the best water quality. Dose the ammonia to 4. and redose when it reaches 1. Watch your PH and wait for nitrite to start showing up.

Thanks for all of the awesome info! All of my fw tanks are planted. It's about time I switch to something other than carbon, anyway. Haha. I don't have a power head yet. I plan on having two. I will keep updating with any new additions or anything.

If carbon is changed out properly and is a good quality like ROX.08 it will not leach PO4 back into system. Are you running a skimmer? I see some questions about HOB filters

Glad to help a fellow aquariumaholic! Lol

Haha. Thanks! I certainly am addicted and need all the help I can get. :D

If carbon is changed out properly and is a good quality like ROX.08 it will not leach PO4 back into system. Are you running a skimmer? I see some questions about HOB filters

The carbon in the HOB on the front is brand new. I want to replace the canister with a good protein skimmer.

Adding a skimmer will be a huge upgrade if you get a good skimmer. There is a lot of junk out there. As long as you change the carbon out every few weeks it will not leak phosphates the other thing is if you leave the carbon in to long bacteria can grow in it then when you take it out you remove the bacteria with it and can shock the tank. Not sure how true it is but i have read it a few times.

Adding a skimmer will be a huge upgrade if you get a good skimmer. There is a lot of junk out there. As long as you change the carbon out every few weeks it will not leak phosphates the other thing is if you leave the carbon in to long bacteria can grow in it then when you take it out you remove the bacteria with it and can shock the tank. Not sure how true it is but i have read it a few times.

That's interesting! Thanks! When I get a skimmer and have my power heads and everything, the HOB isn't something I even still need to have on there, is it?

Back
Top Bottom