Josh's journey into planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxwolfpackof1xx

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok after seeing many of forts and rookies planted ive decided its time i try in my 15 i currently have a 3100k 13w on the left 4100k 15w on right (standard screw in hood) filter is an aqua clear quiet flow 10 i have an anubias and moss ball on right side i really want a low tech lush planted tank please help. ii have standard gravel reluctant to change because i cant find pfs around here but will if 100% needed

also i dont really want to change my light fixture most i could do is once i upgrade my sw lights next month move that fixture over and itd be a single t8 fixture compared to two cfl's

What do you need help for? Which plants to get? Do you have rocks or a DW? I'd get a few JF and attach it to a rock or a DW. I have 20 on a DW(glued an inch apart) And it looks like one whole plant.

i need help on everything i have no clue bout plants. i have no dw or rocks but im actually going to steralize some tmrw if i find nice ones

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
ok after seeing many of forts and rookies planted ive decided its time i try in my 15 i currently have a 3100k 13w on the left 4100k 15w on right (standard screw in hood) filter is an aqua clear quiet flow 10 i have an anubias and moss ball on right side i really want a low tech lush planted tank please help. ii have standard gravel reluctant to change because i cant find pfs around here but will if 100% needed

Any substrate will work. Although a substrate for plants is a lot better. I have regular gravel in my 125 and all the plants are doing great. I use Root tabs for heavy root feeder plants like amazon sword.

When you planted your anubias, did you cover the rhizome? You should not plants the rhizome or it will rot. Let me look for the breakdown of fertilizer nutrients that I saved from when Fort helped me.

All credit goes to Fort with this one...

If you go high light, you will need CO2. Ferts start to become a requirement around medium light... but what you need to dose will vary.

If you go with the CFLs, you could get away without CO2. If you go with the doublebrights or the T5HOs, I think you are going to want it.

Some good fert info:

Plants need 5 big things to grow, and several smaller amounts of other nutrients to thrive.

The big things:
1. Light
2. Carbon - This comes in a few forms... your plants will use CO2 in the water to get this. Without injecting CO2 your water will remain at equilibrium with the air, around 7ppm CO2. By injecting CO2 you can raise the CO2 to "unnatural" levels and essentially kick the plants into high gear. The consensus is the most beneficial level is somewhere between 20-40ppm CO2. You can also add Carbon by using a product called "seachem excel" or another gultaraldehyde product. It works very well with most plants, but can cause problems with others (namely hornwort, anacharis, and a few others) so read up on it before putting it in your tank.
3. Nitrogen (N): One of the 3 "macro-nutrients" for plant growth. If you have fish in your tank, there is a natural source of N provided by fish waste and uneaten food, in the form of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. Your plants will soak up these forms of N and use them to grow. As you add more light to a tank, especially if it is heavily planted, your plants may use up all of the N in your tank, and it may become necessary to supplement the N using fertilizer.

4. Phosphorus (P): the 2d of the 3 macro-nutrients. It occurs naturally in many water sources, and is also found in many foods and other organic material. It may be necessary to dose P in high light tanks where the plants are using up all available naturally occurring P. It occurs in the tank in the form of Phosphate, PO4... so you can get a phosphate test kit to check how much P your plants have available to use.

5. Potassium (K): The last of the 3 macro-nutrients. K doesn't occur naturally in much that is already in a standard tank. Most off the shelf aquarium fertilizers contain K (and not the other 2 macros). It is less harmful in large quantities, and almost any tank (from low to high) will benefit from the addition of a supplement that contains K.

The micro-nutrient or trace elements:

Plants also need other nutrients in much smaller quantities that are often referred to as micro-nutrients or trace elements. These include Iron (Fe), the most common trace element added, and a commonly available fertilizer. It also includes other elements, like Boron, Mg, etc.

Most ferts you find in your local fish store will be a liquid form that combines 1 or more of the nutrients I described above. Most serious FW Planted tank hobbyists prefer to dose each of the 4 categories above individually using dry fertilizers. You can buy enough dry fert to last years for a tank of your size for about $20-30. The liquid ferts sold in LFSs are very expensive in comparison, sometimes costing 20-70 times as much if you add up what you are getting per dose. Planted Aquarium Fertilizer - Home is a good source.

In addition to liquid dosing or dry dosing to the water column, there are also "root tabs" available that get "planted" in the substrate under the plants. They can do wonders for plants that are heavy root feeders. They contain 1 or more of the categories of ferts (N, P, K, or trace) I described above.

nope rhizome is un burried i wish i had a picture but im not home atm. id love to switch to pfs but no one has any around me so thats out of the question

i have a basic understanding of everything above because i lurk the planted section alot I'm going to stick with cfl because i want to stay low tech and need the cash for my nano reef. my lfs has flourish and that's it its $12-$14 for a small bottle. but i also dont understand how id mix and dose if i bought dry ferts

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
i have a basic understanding of everything above because i lurk the planted section alot I'm going to stick with cfl because i want to stay low tech and need the cash for my nano reef. my lfs has flourish and that's it its $12-$14 for a small bottle. but i also dont understand how id mix and dose if i bought dry ferts

I use CFLs n 2 of my tanks and plants are growing well. I dosed flourish comprehensive and excel by seachem for a few months. If you want to save money, I'll go with the dry ferts. When you buy those ferts in a bottle, you also pay for the water. Unlike dry ferts. I bought dry ferts 3 months ago and I still have more than half And that was only for $35. you'll pay more now but will save in the long run. I think 1lb of MMN mix at aquariumfertilizers.com is $11 and iron chelate is around $10.

I don't dose N,P,K yet but soon will. What I bought is an MMN mix. It's like a premixed fertilizer with macro, micro and trace elements. I also bought iron chelate. With the MMN, you won't have to worry about mixing ferts. Dosing N,P,K is better though. There is also an instruction on how much water to add.

woah im lost with the dry fert stuff before we get more i depth with that lets talk plant stocking i currently have 1 anunias and 1 moss ball that's it id like to try to buy locally to avoid shipping but if you know a good site id buy there. so i want nice foreground cover and just dense cover id like to turn this into an rcs or crs tank

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
woah im lost with the dry fert stuff before we get more i depth with that lets talk plant stocking i currently have 1 anunias and 1 moss ball that's it id like to try to buy locally to avoid shipping but if you know a good site id buy there. so i want nice foreground cover and just dense cover id like to turn this into an rcs or crs tank

Aquabid.com I think is a good site for cheap aquarium plants. Start a thread though and ask other members if they have plants for sale. Most of the time they'll just ask you to pay for the shipping.

With your lighting, I'd stick with low-light plants. You can add more anubias. Java fern is a slow growing low-light plant that grows better when attached to a rock or DW. Check my signature to see which plants you can grow and their requirements.

can't check sig im on the app so your sig dosnt show i plan on upgrading the lights to 6500-6700k soon im lookin for bulbs tmrw don't know if il find any though il start a thread in the classifieds and see. would you know where i could get dw and cheap? or even better do it my self

theres one selling manzantia in the classifieds but i dont see mopai but i thinkk the manza is to large for my tank il check out the link as well i also made an add in classifieds

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
theres one selling manzantia in the classifieds but i dont see mopai but i thinkk the manza is to large for my tank il check out the link as well i also made an add in classifieds

Oops. I meant manzanita.

lol its ok i believe his pieces are two big i also don't like how it's branches can i find and cure some my self?

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
lol its ok i believe his pieces are two big i also don't like how it's branches can i find and cure some my self?

You can cut one big piece in to few small pieces. As for getting your own DW, I don't know any thing about that. I read and watched online, people that go to rivers, creeks and lakes collecting DW for aquarium. They said to look for "hardwood". I guess it takes longer for it to rot or disintegrate. If I'd get some DW from places like that, I'll boil them just to be safe. It also helps to make the wood water logged if it's not already water-Logged.

i live in RI and not sure whats hard wood and what isn't also im 14 that's why im tryin to find everything cheap as well because i mainly have to buy pre paid credit carda or use dad's paypal for stuff online

Back
Top Bottom