Julli Cory Catfish lying at bottom of tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forgetfulbunny

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone!

I'm a beginner at keeping my aquarium, and have had one for about 2 months. We have a 50 gallon, with 5 Tiger Barbs, 3 Cherry Barbs, 4 neon tetra, a Dwarf Guorami, a rainbow Shark, and 2 Julii Cory Cats.

Our Corries have always been energetic and fun, Skirting all around the bottom and swimming up the sides of the tank. When i woke up this morning one of our Corries was just laying at the bottom. I thought he was dead and feared for the worst, he/she is my favorite. After watching it for about 10 minutes, it'll randomly get up, squirm around at the bottom, then go back to laying down. It's not lying in the same place every time, but is moving to a different spot. Most other forums i have read say to expect the worst, but i'm in love with the little guy! We just did a 25% water change a week ago, and a 10% three days ago (we had slightly high nitrates).

Does anyone have any advice, or can tell me this is normal? I'd really hate to lose him, it'd be our first loss.

Thanks for all your help!

IS THE TANK CYCLED? That could play a major role in the fish's health. I'd say yes, it's been up for two months, but still, check your parameters. Nothing really you can do, maybe add some Stresscoat. Also, check for signs of aggression. Other fish may be picking on him/her. Hope I helped.

Nils

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422572940.191812.jpg

Is it just lying normally.....Mine do it all the time have done since I had them 2ish years ago....the pic is them they lie like it for a while, go and have a 5-10 min rummage, swim about then go and lie down for a few hours,

Just keep an eye on it....I've got like 3 cory tanks all diff ages and they all do it just keep an eye out make sure it's eating and no other odd behaviour

Sent from fish phone

If you having high nitrates water changes are key. Stop doing 10%wc as that is simply pointless. I would suggest doing 50% WC weekly and aim at keeping your nitrates around 5ppm.

Also when you say high nitrates, how high? What's the number?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could also get anacharis or hornwort, they are great nitrogen sponges.

I've heard that clown loaches will play dead, I don't know about corydoras however.

Just an FYI, you probably have Corydoras trilineatus ( 3 Lined Corys)
They are very commonly mislabeled julii. True C julii are extremely rare especially in regular pet shops.

So when you look for care of your catfish, look under the correct name for the best care advice.

http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/c_trilineatus.htm

I hope your fish pulls through. When you can, if you have room, add more Coreys to build up the group to maybe five or six.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom