Jump starting a cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B-Chrono

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I've had my tank for about 3 months and ever since I've had it my little sister has been infatuated and awe inspired by it. I plan on getting her a tank for Christmas (15 or 20g) but I was curious if I ran her filter in my tank for a month or two if that would help build up bacteria where she wouldn't have to wait very long to start adding fish as I know she will be very excited and ready to start adding. Her and my parents live about a 30 minute drive away so I will be able to keep the media submerged during the trip so it won't dry out.

Thanks

Depending on your bioload, it could be accomplished in as little as 2-3 weeks. Is this a task she's capable of taking on age/maturity wise ? I would just make sure it is good with your parents since it's their house.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Oh yeah, she's in high school and I've already talked to my parents about it, I usually visit once a week so I can help her with the water changes, cleanings, etc.

Oh yeah, she's in high school and I've already talked to my parents about it, I usually visit once a week so I can help her with the water changes, cleanings, etc.

That's awesome all the way around then !! Is there anything in your tank that peaks her interest that you feel she would like to emulate from you or do you think/know she's headed in another direction ? Since you're doing the tank and your parents are cool with it, would they have an interest or have you talked about helping out with gift certificates to your LFS for stocking, supplies, etc ?

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Part of the plan is for me to take her to the lfs and let her choose substrate, decorations, fish, etc.
Of course I will be steering her in the correct direction and not letting her choose stuff that isn't compatible with her setup.

You don't really have to run an extra filter just to seed it. You can seed it a day or two before you want to begin stocking the new tank. Clean your own filter, in a small amount of tank water. Squeeze out the media well, you want the rinse water really filthy looking.

Then pour the rinsings into the new filter on the new tank. It will be seeded immediately.

When I first got back into the hobby I had an unfortunately poor understanding of the nitrogen cycle. So I had two fish and a huge nitrite spike going on.

I got rinsings from a fellow hobbyist and the nitrite spike zeroed out completely in 36 hours. All tests perfect at that point.. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, < 20 nitrate. I started adding new fish slowly, a few per week, so the filter could build up to the new bioloads. I tested frequently to be sure it was all going well, and it was fine from then on.

Now I always start new tanks by seeding the filters with rinsings. If you don't have rinsings when you need them, take a piece of the used, dirty media from the first filter and put that in the new filter. It will seed it also. Not quite as fast as using the rinsings, but almost.

Seeding from filter squeezings is helpful. I'd do that then run it on your tank. I've also had quick success pulling a little media from my tank and putting it in the new filter, then stocking 10% right away.

Neither will immediately provide enough bacteria to fully stock right away, as you're probably aware.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Moving seeded media will provide enough bacteria to fully stock the tank, depending on the tank sizes and provided enough media is moved. I mean, I could easily fully stock a 29 gallon tank with media taken from a 125 gallon tank. The opposite would not be so easy.

I agree that running the new filter on an established tank is unnecessary, when you can simply move media. Why wait? As for "filter media juice", I have heard many people claim success doing that. It's not something I would ever do though, not when I can just move media.

Back
Top Bottom