just a quick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquadestroyer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is quarts an inert rock? I just bought a nice piece of rose quarts for my oscar tank and want to be sure its safe

Aquadestroyer said:
Is quarts an inert rock? I just bought a nice piece of rose quarts for my oscar tank and want to be sure its safe

Generally people pour vinegar on the rocks and if it bubbles the it's not safe.

Generally people pour vinegar on the rocks and if it bubbles the it's not safe.
Not safe for what? Vinegar only says that the rock might raise the pH. If the tank pH is already on the higher end it may not even affect it. Vinegar does not tell whether the rock is safe or not (in terms of chemicals or minerals leeching).

mfdrookie516 said:
Not safe for what? Vinegar only says that the rock might raise the pH. If the tank pH is already on the higher end it may not even affect it. Vinegar does not tell whether the rock is safe or not (in terms of chemicals or minerals leeching).

Hmm it's just something ive read on this forum. Well thanks for clarifying for me.

Well my ph is relatively high already, will the dissolved quarts negatively effect my Oscars?

The quartz isn't going to dissolve overnight, but it will over time. And depending on how high the ph is, it might not even effect it.

Back
Top Bottom