Just a quick question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellenquacker72

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is kind of hard to explain, but anyways...

In my ten gallon, I have a fluval U2. I'm planning on upgrading to a 20g anyway now, so I added an aqua clear 20 for extra filtration. My question is, how long will it take for bb to build up in the aqua clear while it's in the 10 with the bb that's already there? Because ideally I am going to want to run the fluval in the new tank a day or two before I move the fish, just to make sure everything's going well. So will the 10 be ok with just the aqua clear for a few days?

10-14 days is a good time frame to get some colonization, the longer the better of course. However, if you're simply moving the same fish from the old to the new, it's not entirely necessary. The filter already running will have enough bacteria to support the fish. Really you can just set up the new tank, run it for a couple days to make sure there's no leaks or filter problems...then move the fish right over with all of the media from the old tank. You will lose some of the BB that lived on the walls, decorations, gravel, etc...but nothing significant. It's possible to see a mini-cycle for a few days, but a few pwc's will knock it out in no time :)

Youre always so helpful :)
So I've set up the new tank in the new location, have the tiny aqua clear desperately trying to get the water clear after i added sand. I rinsed the PFS for quite a while and got it as clear as I could, put the water is still pretty murky. Any chance the water will be clear by tomorrow?
The fluval 100w heater also in, since I have to put water in from the tap that's completely cold. The temp in there st the beginning was 12 degrees Celsius where is should be 25 ish. Hehe.
So, theoretically once both the filters have been placed in the new tank for a couple weeks, I could take the aqua clear out and use it for a qt, and it will have sufficient bb? I'd like to have a quarantine for when I get some more fish, and this was the plan...

The best way might actually be to leave the filter off for a while. That will give you a chance for everything to settle out. I know it's frustrating having it cloudy...but it'll clear up within a couple days :)

Whoops, I was editing my last post after you replied, so there's another question at the bottom, in a case you didn't see it :)
And also, is the dust from the sand harmful to the fish if I put them in when it's not completely settled?

If you run both filters at once it will give you great filtration and also give you the ability to instantly set up a cycled QT. Personally I fill the QT tank with 50% tank water and 50% new dechlorinated water, throw the small filter on and call it cycled. You'll want to monitor the water in the tank you pulled the filter off of for a while just to make sure there's not a mini-cycle from losing the BB in that filter.

Now for new fish who you want to quarantine it is a great tool, but if you are treating illness in the QT, daily water changes are often a part of treatment, so having the tank cycled is kind of a moot point since the water changes will be removing the toxins.

I can't imagine sand being detrimental to the fish. In their natural environment I'm sure sand is kicked up all the time and they're swimming through it, so I wouldn't see any cause for concern.

Awesome! Thanks Eco! For now I was just concerned with having a QT for new fish, since I want to try and avoid needing it for a sickness QT if you know what I mean :p

Back
Top Bottom