Just added fish, high nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pickles12807

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I checked my new tank two days ago and ammonia and nitrite were both 0, so I dosed it with ammonia and checked it 24 hours later, and all levels were back down to 0. I did about an 80% water change to remove the build up of nitrates last night, and went and got my first school of fish, glowlight tetras, at the LFS today. They've been in the tank for about 30 minutes, after slowly acclimating for about an hour and a half, and I decided to check my water again. My ammonia is still 0, but somehow my nitrites are up to about 2ppm. Will doing daily water changes and using Prime keep the fish safe until this drops? This is my first tank, so I'm not sure why the nitrites have shown up. I did test my tap water to be safe and it was 0ppm.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What were you dosing the ammonia to when cycling? And yep, the water changes and prime should take care of it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I usually got it around 3ppm. My tank is still not showing any ammonia, so I'm guessing the second stage of cycling wasn't quite done yet and I added my fish too quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

sounds like your cycle wasn't complete. Water change with prime and check water parameters daily

Just a quick update: my tank is doing great! I tested my water the next morning and my nitrites were back down to 0. I went ahead and got the rest of my fish, so the tank is now fully stocked and ammonia and nitrites are both steady at 0 for a few days now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom