Just another Fish in cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gsdsar

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

Have a Betta, in a 5.5 gallon tank. Started about 3 weeks ago. Been checking levels daily. And daily I have a lot if ammonia. As if right now it's 1 ppm. So yes, I have been doing 75% WC daily, sometimes twice daily.

Betta is acting fine, eating fine.

Here is the question, probably asked before. Sorry.

How long till I get nitrItes? I had one surge in week one. Then nothing. However, I do have nitrAtes, 5ppm.

I can't be cycled. Not with this level of ammonia daily. Am I just being impatient? Obviously right.

Just want to make sure I am not doing anything wrong.

Thanks.

Hey all,

Have a Betta, in a 5.5 gallon tank. Started about 3 weeks ago. Been checking levels daily. And daily I have a lot if ammonia. As if right now it's 1 ppm. So yes, I have been doing 75% WC daily, sometimes twice daily.

Betta is acting fine, eating fine.

Here is the question, probably asked before. Sorry.

How long till I get nitrItes? I had one surge in week one. Then nothing. However, I do have nitrAtes, 5ppm.

I can't be cycled. Not with this level of ammonia daily. Am I just being impatient? Obviously right.

Just want to make sure I am not doing anything wrong.

Thanks.

Hmm

Nitrates are the final product of nitrites..
So you had nitrites. Your water changes are effectively population control on the bacteria that turn ammonia into nitrites ..leave the lid off and leave the water change for a day or so. Try to maintain 1ppm for ammonia and change only 10% for every .5 ppm above 1 it goes up..

It takes a while. It took me about 5 or 6 weeks. Just check your water everyday. I used a lot of Prime. Sometimes when i didnt have time for a daily water change i just dosed with prime. Patience patience patience. You cant miss the spike in nitrites. It will happen.

If you had not nitrite spikes, it's highly likely that you're water has nitrate. Stop the high ammounts water changes, as you're removing the main source of food for the bacteria(ammonia). Monitor you're tank, and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom