Just beginning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rapid descent

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New adventurist here. We've spent a lot of money in a very short amount of time, so, perfect new hobby. PetCo loves me...Hah.

A lot of research and confusion (a hundred years ago, when I was a young teenager, I had a 10 or 15 gallon aquarium with Angel Fish and Neon Tetra's and never did any of this water testing, maintaining sciences and nitrogen? what? I used to pull out all fish when tank was dirty, clean it all, fill tank from the bathtub spigot and add fish back in and everything was fine and dandy) Now, if I look at this tank sideways,,,someone is ailing or dying.

Swords died within days and I tried a food cycling, meh, I don't know. Then bought some Buenos Aires Tetras which are lovely beings and they seem quite active and happy although the chemistry still is wildly wrong apparently.

Anyway, that is what is. So I'm joining here to see if persons of greater skill and knowledge will be beneficial to this expensive journey. -JayTee

I tried food cycling too, it ended up spiking my ammonia >< it was too dangerous for fish for a while.
Turns out there is beneficial bacteria you can just buy and add to your tank when you cycle.

If you are doing a fish in cycle then you will need to test your water frequently as you go. A test kit such as API Freshwater Master test kit.

If you are doing a fishless cycle I would still recommend testing your water so you know when the cycle has finished.

The best way to correct your water issues in an uncycled tank is to do 50% water changes frequently.........as in every few days. Only feed once a day and don't overfeed. Make sure you use a dechlorinator during your water changes. A good dechlorinator is Seachem Prime.

I know member introductions probably isn't the place to write a novel but there's a few tips to point you in the right direction.

Welcome to AA!!

Thanks, I appreciate any knowledgeable input. I test water in the morning (prior to any feedings) Nitrates and Nitrites continue to rise. Perhaps the good sign? I'm exchanging 10% to 15% water every other day, maintaining equal temp and dechlorinated. Keeping feedings to meager although Buenos Aires tetra always in voracious frenzy at mealtime. (Am no longer adding additional beneficial bacteria drops)

You don't want your ammonia to go above .25 ppm. Same with nitrites but preferably 0. Nitrates over 40 ppm you should do a water change. I would be doing 50% water changes.....if your ammonia is .50 ppm and you do a 50% water change you will have .25 ppm. If your levels rise fairly high you will have to do several 50% water changes within the day or back to back to get it down.

What precisely are the numbers we are seeking for a "cycled" tank? Today's numbers and the typical... Two more partial water exchanges since my first post (14% to 15% of the 29 gal)

Ammonia 0-.25
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 3-5 test strip reading 5-10 API test
gh 75
Chlorine 0
kh 40
ph 7.2-7.4 temp 73.8 f

No live plants
3 Buenos Aires Tetra
3 Cory Cat Julii
All fish seem quite active and voracious eaters less one Cory who seems to be in a failure to thrive mode for 6 to 7 days...rarely seems to eat or active when all others are in frenzied dining.

Cycled tanks have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and some sort of nitrate reading. Your tank is in the middle of cycling but not cycled. Your nitrite is way to high and at lethal levels. I'll say it again....50% water changes. Back to back water changes until you are at .25 ppm ammonia, .25 ppm or 0 ppm nitrites.

In order for you to lower your nitrites to acceptable levels you would have to do 4 to 5 back to back 50% water changes if it's at 5 ppm. It's gonna take some work. If it's not something you want to do then expect more fish deaths. There's just no way a fish can stand bad water for any length of time without death or disease.

Thanks, I only have the ability to exchange 6 gallons of water at a time, so that is what I am doing. I overnight TAP water to dechlorinate and then siphon out 5 gallons and then warm up (my room temperature is around 60 f) and return the water I set out the day before. I don't know where people can possibly store all this water! I'm really trying, here, seriously.
Thanks again

Are you using a dechlorinator? If you are trying to off gas, that will work for chlorine but not chloramines. Chloramines will kill your fish. I'd suggest using dechlorinator such as Seachem Prime. That way you don't have to wait 24 hours to change just 5 gallons of water. Dechlorinator works within seconds and it takes out chloramines. Prime will also convert lethal ammonia to safer ammonium for up to 2 days. It will also help with your nitrites and nitrates.

How big is your tank?

29 gallon tank (I assume with gravel, several lava type rocks and miscellaneous equipment, water disbursement equals less than 29 gallons of liquid is actually in the tank)
Aqueon Water Conditioner 5mL to each 10 gallons

One of my tanks is a 29g as well. What is the reason you can only change out 6g at a time?

If you are using a water conditioner then why are you letting it sit out for 24 hours? Are you using tap water that you can warm up?

You’ll want to use a dechlorinator such as Seachem Prime. It will neutralize the chlorine and break the chloramine bond. The ammonia freed up from the broken bond will be temporarily (~24 hours) rendered “less harmful”. Same with nitrites. Plus, you will be able to temperature match the water and use it immediately.
It is pretty concentrated; typical dosage is 2 drops per gallon or 5 mL per 50 gallons.
Oh, it smells like rotten eggs. But it works.

Still at it. Not seeing the numbers I'm seeking...see attached calendar notes.
Started using Seachem Prime and today, beginning a regime of Seachem Stabilizer....continue water exchange from 5 gal to 10.5 gal a day.
Prime dropped the toxic numbers, briefly, of course, but feel no closer to a cycled tank than I was on Dec 9th.
Thought I had the proper spiking and then, reductions, but perhaps not. Still controlling ammonia and Nitrates and Nitrites with Seachem products.
3 Buenos Aires tetra and 2 small julii cory. 29 gal tank with 24 gallons ? water.

Attachments

• 20190108_144926.jpg
    20190108_144926.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20190108_144953.jpg
    20190108_144953.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 28
I'd still try to bring down the nitrites with water changes. Multiple a day. Be patient.

Back
Top Bottom