Just bought my test kit need help with levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rpbustillo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tank is a 45g emperor 400 pump water temp at 79. PH 7.6 NITRITE 1.5 NITRATE between 5-10 AMMONIA 0
I got a little ahead of myself when I first bought the tank and out fish in.
Tank does have a few live plants and a couple large pieces of driftwood. I've been trying to get my NITRITES down, I've been doing 50% water changers everyday for the last 3-4 days no matter what I do I cannot get down below 1-1.5. Can anybody let me know what I'm doing wrong or what else I should be doing? I've already lost some fish in the past 3 weeks and don't want to lose anymore :(
Any help would be greatly appreciated :thanks:

My master kit doesn't test for alkalinity, but when I was using the strips it was always really low can that stall my cycle? Tank has been setup for 3 weeks

My master kit doesn't test for alkalinity, but when I was using the strips it was always really low can that stall my cycle? Tank has been setup for 3 weeks

Alkalinity doesn't do much in cycling process, and with a pH of 7.6 it should be fine, but if you need to increase it add baking soda to the water. About the nitrites there's no more to do than PWC every day and if you can seed the filter with colonized media.

joegourami where would be the best place to get colonized media?
Scottyhorse thanks I'll try that, should I wait till tomorrow or is today fine even though I already did a 50% WC?

joegourami where would be the best place to get colonized media?
Scottyhorse thanks I'll try that, should I wait till tomorrow or is today fine even though I already did a 50% WC?

From another filter if you have another tank. Or ask in the lfs to sel youl some of their media.

Back
Top Bottom