just don't know what to do next????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In response to the clown suggestion, should I add a coral for them to host? Ive heard they aren't complete without it. If so what kind should I go for or is my Xenia sufficient? I am planning on moving my Xenia to one smaller rock and secluding it from my structure so it won't continue to spread. I'm going to let it take over one small area so it would be cool if the clowns host it since I plan on placing it in the front. I just want more action. The goby just had starting showing his face a little until my sand storm now he is back to hiding. I think I will add the pistol shrimp also. I have heard about there bonding capabilities which sounds awesome.

My clown sleeps in the corner of my glass. She gets about halfway up and swims straight down in the corner.

image-691353746.jpg

I'm still confused on my power head situation. Is there any way to assemble it incorrectly that would make it blow harder? This thing stirs up everything regardless where I put it. I tried one corner directing toward the diagonal corner which is furthest away. It runs right down the glass and blows sand everywhere. Someone suggested a 600gph. That's what mine is rated but it is obviously too powerful. Just don't want to buy another if I have done something wrong.

Drip acclimate over a long time. Tangs get ich really easily and need the least amount of stress possible.

How should I acclimate my new tang

The best way to acclimate a tang is the best way to acclimate anything. Turn the tank light off. Set the new fish in its bag in the water. Add 1/4 cup of tank water to the bag every 10 minutes for 1 hour. Then net the tang out of the bag. Leave the light off for an additional two hours.

Lfs said the yellow tang would be fine at that size until it got exceptionally bigger which I plan on having a larger tank once I learn the ropes and would move it then. I'm an hour away and home now. What should I do?

Lfs said the yellow tang would be fine at that size until it got exceptionally bigger which I plan on having a larger tank once I learn the ropes and would move it then. I'm an hour away and home now. What should I do?

Turn the tank light off, put the bag in the tank, and add 1/4 cup of tank water every 10 minutes for an hour. Then net the tang into the tank. Leave the light off for at least 2 hours after releasing him.

For every 10 gallons of water, you can host 1-2" of fish. So a 4" fish will do okay in a 40 gallon tank as long as there are no other fish.

Ouch..... Well I went for a pair of clowns but they only had one so I chose the tang and was going to go back for a pair of clowns. I already have a yellow watchman goby. I just wanted more action cause he hides all the time. I also asked for a pistol shrimp for him but she couldn't find him in the sand. Does this mean no more fish? That is disappointing.

I use drip acclimation for all my fish, shrimp, and crabs other than hermits. You'll need a bucket or styrofoam container that should hold at least three time the volume of water the fish was shipped in and some air line.

Float the bag in the aquarium water with lights out for 15-20 minutes, then open the bag and place the fish and the shipping water into your container. (Keep the lights out for the remainder of the procedure.). Tie a couple of loose knots in the air line and start a siphon from the tank to the container. Tighten the knots so the flow reduces to just drops. The drops should be steady, but distinguishable as drops rather than a stream of water. Let this continue for an hour and a half at least, and until the water volume has tripled. Net the fish and place it in the aquarium. Discard the water in the container.

I also added a hammer frag. I now have Xenia, button polyps, mushrooms (not sure what all types), and the hammer. With t5 high output (two white, two blue) what hours should I run my lights.

I also added a hammer frag. I now have Xenia, button polyps, mushrooms (not sure what all types), and the hammer. With t5 high output (two white, two blue) what hours should I run my lights.

I'd run the lights for 8 hours. That's good enough for corals but also helps keep the algae growth down as algae thrives on light.

Back
Top Bottom