Just getting started need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Venomous_Duck

Aquarium Advice Regular
My name is Mickey and I'm new to this site.
I've had my tank going for about 3 months now. My nitrates nitrites and my ammonia levels are at 0. My PH level is at 8.2-8.4. I'm having trouble with fish dying. I'm trying to figure out if its the PH level or another fish is killing them. I have one living neon tetra. I've purchased 20 of them. The 1 that survived is from the first time I bought them. I have 3 glass catfish. For some reason I cannot put a fourth 1 in my tank. Every time I put a fourth 1 in it will die. I just bought 2 Grommies and they had no issue adjusting to my tank. I would really like to figure out at what is going on so when I start my 125 gallon tank I don't have the same issues.
Thanks for any help

6.8-7.0 pH is a good pH to aim for with neon tetras - in my opinion.....

Get some PH down - and keep an eye on your KH.

What is the temperature?

My temperature is 78-80 most of the time. Can I just put some driftwood in my tank? I heard that will lower PH levels. I try to stay away from a chemical concoction in my tank. I don't like the fact that I've already got a few in there. I put co2 and fertilizer in my tank. Could that be the cause of the fish dying? The fish that have been in there are happy and healthy I just can't seem to introduce anything new without a few dying. I would also like to point out that I purchased 9 neon tetra Friday and all of them died but I only found 2 bodies. I have no idea what happened to the others. The only 2 aggressive fish I have are an upside down catfish and a red tailed shark. The upside down catfish does attack my frogs and my guppies. The shark doesn't harm anything he pretty much sticks to the cave.

I would say the red tailed shark is the culprit.

Can you list out your tank set up? (tank size, filter, fish, plants, etc)

Nope, I sure can't. I have a picture uploaded. I have a Walmart 40-60 gallon filter. 40 gallon tank and I can only name a few of my fish. I know for a fact that the 2 I mentioned and my Grommies are the only aggressive ones. I was having this problem before the Grommies though. The red tailed shark keep to himself and when he does swim with the other fish I never see him attacking anything. My upside down catfish has attacked quite a few fish and I've watched him do it. He hasn't killed any that I have seen though. He did take a chunk out of my guppie's fin though.

Zero nitrate is usually sign that the tank is not properly "cycled" unless it is heavily planted, dose a good fert regimen, run CO2 and have high light. How often do you check ammonia levels?

Before you go trying to "fix" a pH issue you NEED to know two things...
What is the pH of your source water?
What is the pH of your source water after it has gassed out for 24 hours?

PH of my source water is 7.8.
The pH of water in my tank is 8.4 as of tonight.
I must have not been doing it right because I have different readings now.
My ammonia level is between 0 ppm and .25 ppm.
My nitrite level is between 0 ppm and .25 ppm.
I do not have anything to test for nitrates. I thought I did but I just have 2 bottles for nitrite. I feel really stupid now but at least I figured it out and have it down now.
My tank is highly planted. I just put a piece of driftwood in my tank tonight.
I have solutions to test GH and KH but I do not have the color cards to go with them. I got my test kit second hand when I got my 125 gallon tank.

YES! I WANT HIM OUT! He is meant to go in my 125 gallon tank but I don't have anything to put him in so he is in there for now. I was going to give him away but my family said if I want to keep the 125G tank in the living room they want me to keep the huge fish. I prefer smaller fish.

Hmmmm

Do you have the 125g tank set up? Or is it a wish list item?

Or do you just have the tank and not the "stuff" to finish setting it up?

I have the tank and it's in my living room. I have 2 AquaClear 110 filters to go in it but I don't have anything to go in the filters. I'm not really sure what to put in there. I know they take foam. I haven't finished cleaning the tank yet. I plan to finish cleaning the tank and get water in it this weekend. The Pleco was in the 125G tank before. The previous owner gave me the Pleco when I bought it.

YES! I WANT HIM OUT! He is meant to go in my 125 gallon tank but I don't have anything to put him in so he is in there for now. I was going to give him away but my family said if I want to keep the 125G tank in the living room they want me to keep the huge fish. I prefer smaller fish.

I understand the reticence on the "large fish" tank - I am/was the same way for years...

Then my Dad got a Jack Dempsy (11 inches-ish)....

He has so much personality! When you think he is sleeping, he starts burying the snail with rocks! Comes to the front of the tank when you walk in the room, and I can almost swear, he talks to my Dad! ROFL

That being said - DEFINITELY move the Pleco to a larger tank, with ONE large tank mate (that should keep the family happy! :))

I have the tank and it's in my living room. I have 2 AquaClear 110 filters to go in it but I don't have anything to go in the filters. I'm not really sure what to put in there. I know they take foam. I haven't finished cleaning the tank yet. I plan to finish cleaning the tank and get water in it this weekend. The Pleco was in the 125G tank before. The previous owner gave me the Pleco when I bought it.

Start with the basic setup for the AquaClear 110 (btw I love AquaClear filters!) foam (Manufacturer Part # A623)- carbon (Manufacturer Part # A622) - biomax - (Manufacturer Part # A1374). They should be available at most LFS - if not, definitely on line.

Zero nitrate is usually sign that the tank is not properly "cycled" unless it is heavily planted, dose a good fert regimen, run CO2 and have high light. How often do you check ammonia levels?

Before you go trying to "fix" a pH issue you NEED to know two things...
What is the pH of your source water?
What is the pH of your source water after it has gassed out for 24 hours?

I agree with blert, if you have 0 nitrates your tank is not cycled, that's the main problem.

I agree with Blert 100%

but he also has a 8-10 inch Pleco in there that he is dealing with.

I am not - by any means - as knowledgeable as most people on here...but the more important problem (imho) is the Pleco and keeping him alive...

Just fill up you big tank either way your going to be dealing with an uncycled tank forget about cartridges and all that business for now. Most ppl say they are unnecessary anyway. As long as you have the filter sponge you can get started and get the rest later. Look up some posts about doing a fish in cycle. If they don't get out of the little tank you could loose them also get some prime.

PH of my source water is 7.8.
Is this directly out of the tap?
You also NEED to know what the pH is after it has gassed out for 24 hours.
Put some water in a shallow bowl and give it a good stir every now and then. Better yet, if you have an air pump, fill a gallon jug 3/4 full and drop in an air line. Check the pH after 24 hours.

The pH of water in my tank is 8.4 as of tonight.
Is there anything in the tank that can be effecting the pH? What substrate are you using? Any rocks that don't pass the vinegar test?

I must have not been doing it right because I have different readings now.
My ammonia level is between 0 ppm and .25 ppm.
That's not so bad. Just keep an eye on it at least twice a day and do a PWC any time it rises above 0.25ppm.
Test your tap water for ammonia also so that you know what you are working with.

My nitrite level is between 0 ppm and .25 ppm.
Also not so bad. Do the same as suggest for ammonia above.

I do not have anything to test for nitrates. I thought I did but I just have 2 bottles for nitrite.
What brand test are you using?
The API tests are one bottle for nitrite and two bottles for nitrate.

My tank is highly planted.
A possible reason to bottom out on nitrate but all other plant nutrient factors need to be available also. You say you are injecting CO2 and still have an in tank pH that high? There must be something in the tank buffering it, rocks or substrate.

I just put a piece of driftwood in my tank tonight.
Not going to do much to lower the pH.

I have solutions to test GH and KH but I do not have the color cards to go with them.
What brand? API tests for these have no color chart. It is a drop count test.

Just fill up you big tank either way your going to be dealing with an uncycled tank forget about cartridges and all that business for now. Most ppl say they are unnecessary anyway. As long as you have the filter sponge you can get started and get the rest later. Look up some posts about doing a fish in cycle. If they don't get out of the little tank you could loose them also get some prime.

I don't want to do another fish in cycle. Its way too much work. I have 2 jobs. I come home and barely have time to eat before I need to go to bed. The only extra time I have is on the weekend.

is this directly out of the tap?
Yes

you also need to know what the ph is after it has gassed out for 24 hours.
Working on that now

put some water in a shallow bowl and give it a good stir every now and then. Better yet, if you have an air pump, fill a gallon jug 3/4 full and drop in an air line. Check the ph after 24 hours.
I have an air stone in a bucket of tap water.

Is there anything in the tank that can be effecting the ph? What substrate are you using? Any rocks that don't pass the vinegar test?
I have sand that is specifically made for fish tanks and is not supposed to bother your ph. It's the same sand my local fish store uses.

That's not so bad. Just keep an eye on it at least twice a day and do a pwc any time it rises above 0.25ppm.
Because i work 2 jobs i only test once a day.

Test your tap water for ammonia also so that you know what you are working with.
I will do that tonight.

What brand test are you using?
They're api tests are one bottle for nitrite and two bottles for nitrate.
I have no idea i didn't buy it.

A possible reason to bottom out on nitrate but all other plant nutrient factors need to be available also. You say you are injecting co2 and still have an in tank ph that high? There must be something in the tank buffering it, rocks or substrate.
I don't know if i am injecting co2. I'm pouring in a liquid that claims to be co2.

Not going to do much to lower the ph.
That's fine, it looks really cool in there and it looks more natural than some stuff you can put in a tank.

What brand? Api tests for these have no color chart. It is a drop count test.
again, i have no idea. I'll check the stuff that i have and see if i can find out the brand.

Back
Top Bottom