just getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fitzgeraldkevin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I recently aqired two 55 gallon long tanks, my plan is to make one into a corydora breeding tank just have only corydoras. I don't have much experience with live plants but I'd love to have some. I don't want to do a co2 setup for various reasons. I was told Java fern and anubias would be two easy to grow plants that don't need c02 to thrive. Is this a good idea? I don't want to be overrun with algae though

Yep those are good plants for low lights. You could also try some rotala, java fern and jungle vals these are other great low light plants.

If you're worried about algae growth I would recommend getting a few Chinese Algae Eaters. They like to be in groups like corydoras and they don't grow as large as plecos.

Do not get a Chinese algae eater as they only eat algae when they are young and may attack other fish when they get older. Siamese algae eaters are a very different story and can be a great addition. Adding co2, high lighting and fertilizers will make it more difficult to balance your tank and keep away algae

Yeah that's exactly why I want plants where I don't have to use co2 and such. Or should I take the fake plant route?

I'll be setting up my new tank in a week or so and I plan on using fake AND real plants. I'll be using low maintenance plants like anubias nana and java moss/fern (neither require co2 systems). Plastic or silk plants will still provide your fish with great hiding places and you can use natural colors to make it all look real.

http://fishopedia.webs.com/weed.jpg

Probably not the best picture but it gives you a good idea of natural colors to use besides just green. When set up well, quality plastic plants will fool most of your aquarium gazers :3
weed.jpg

TheGuppyGirl said:
I'll be setting up my new tank in a week or so and I plan on using fake AND real plants. I'll be using low maintenance plants like anubias nana and java moss/fern (neither require co2 systems).

And will you be posting about this new tank as you go? Hahaha

And will you be posting about this new tank as you go? Hahaha

I may :3. But at the moment I have no substrate because of a delivery snafu, so I'll probably be waiting another 4-6 days before it's SUPPOSED to arrive. But I have most of what I need when the day comes. It's hard to find java moss/fern.

Although I would also take Gumi's advice and find yourself a peaceful type of algae eater that will go well with your corys. Make sure they have compatible living conditions as well. My sister found out the hard way that goldfish and african dwarf frogs don't mix.

Yeah I may have to do that. Just trying to keep it as natural as possible and pretty much a corydora sanctuary hahah

I've tried to research how my fish live in the wild, but they don't seem to have much on guppies. Ha. As far as I know corys like sandy substrate instead of gravel because they can find food easier and it's softer for sleepy time. If possible I would suggest buying or making a cave-like structure for them to explore.

Lots of cool low tech plants out there! Slow growers like java fen and anubia are very easy to grow and would look great though the slow growth means algae might be a small problem in some cases. The important thing is watever maintenance your dpi g to try and keep it consistent. With Cory's scavenging around though I don't think you'll have too many issues. If algae becomes bad just get some amano shrimp and they'll clean it up in no time. Try rotal or ludwigia as they are fast growing low tech stem plants that should be very easy. +1 on the sand! They love rummaging around in it. Guppies are mostly bred by people these days so theres not much on their natural habitat but I'm glad to see that your trying your best to give them a nice home!

My substrate arrived last night! I have the water cycling again and waiting for the cloudiness to go away. I'm gonna do a video but I'll be glad to take pics and post as I go. I'll send a link if you're interested in seeing my set-up.

One thing to remember is that different algae eaters eat different algae. What kind of algae are you wanting them for? Glass cleaning, BBA algae, diatoms? You can choose from Oto's, Bristlenose Pleco's, SAE's, and even certain types of snails.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom