Just got this betta & need help with fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azarchery

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! This is my first post.

I just got this male veil tail betta today at Petsmart. I love his color, but is his fins okay? We don’t know if he is stressed so he closed his fins or he is just young? Will they open or grow out? Please help!

Attachments

• C3BEBBAB-E0D8-482C-BE1E-1812BE53FA30.jpg
    C3BEBBAB-E0D8-482C-BE1E-1812BE53FA30.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 66
If he's from PetSmart he's probably not in the best condition. Just keep your water pristine. Do 50% water changes every 3 days. Keep the water at 80 degrees. He should bounce back if he's not diseased. It's going to be a wait and see situation. He doesn't look real bad.... maybe stressed and slight fin damage but hard to tell from the pic.

Good advice from KF.

Looks like he really needs loving care as mentioned. Good food and fresh clean toxin free water should help a great deal.

Good food. Like fresh Brine shrimp if you can get some for the lfs. And /or frozen blood worms plus Tubifex and a healthy staple Betta food. Hikari Betta Bio-Gold, is a nice basic food not what a fish should live of of only though. I like it because it covers the basics and doesn't make the water cloudy, tiny pellets so younger and smaller Betta can eat them, and you can add more connection time feeding him a pellet at a time (much more fun).

He could be clamping his fins shut due to stress, which could've been stress from poor conditions at Petsmart and then now stress from moving to a new environment. If that's the case, he should stop clamping them soon. He would not clamp his fins like that from young age.

Something that could make him happier and reduce stress is a water heater, or like Autumnsky said- you could feed him brine shrimp or bloodworms.

There are other possible issues though such as disease. Looking at the back of his anal fin, it almost appears there could be a beginning stage of fin rot. Would not be surprising because I often see Betta at pet stores with fin rot, fungal infections, or just dead. It could just be the way I'm looking at the photo though. If it is, you'll see a dark edge lining the tip of the fin.

Found this image that could help you figure out if fin rot is the case:
tumblr_inline_noq9g5gBX11s1wk64_250.gif

He could be clamping his fins shut due to stress, which could've been stress from poor conditions at Petsmart and then now stress from moving to a new environment. If that's the case, he should stop clamping them soon. He would not clamp his fins like that from young age.

Something that could make him happier and reduce stress is a water heater, or like Autumnsky said- you could feed him brine shrimp or bloodworms.

There are other possible issues though such as disease. Looking at the back of his anal fin, it almost appears there could be a beginning stage of fin rot. Would not be surprising because I often see Betta at pet stores with fin rot, fungal infections, or just dead. It could just be the way I'm looking at the photo though. If it is, you'll most likely see a dark edge lining the tip of the fin. The condition of his fins would slowly get worse if it's fin rot so you wouldn't miss it.

Back
Top Bottom