Just imstalled co2 system! Need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SethMorrow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It seems like it's spitting a lot out of my diffuser at just 10 PSI! What should I adjust?

image-290322972.jpg

Do you have a bubble counter on your system.? If so you should have 1-2 bubbles per second. This can be adjusted with the needle valve.

I have 1 Bubble per second at the moment! And it looks like 90% of my bubbles are being diffused at the moment

image-2583440655.jpg

But my working pressure is at like 3 psi

image-3745394750.jpg

Is that a problem? Because at the desired rate of 1 bubble per second right now and the diffuser diffusing the bubbles so well, does the psi need to be higher?

And I chose a low bubble count due to lack of plants currently. I had a fully planted aquarium but none of it met the squad cape design I have in mind so I gutted it and put in Val's and java moss on my wood, the Val's sent out 5 runners I'm a week before I even used co2, and the java moss is brand spankin new.

image-1516905554.jpg

Try setting your working pressure at about 30 and turn down the needle valve. See how that works. What brand regulator are you using?

I got it adjusted now I believe! I think it took a bit to get settled and consistent, and the regulator doesn't say a brand, but I ordered it from marine depot and the reviews for great! Here's a pic of it all

image-1421689412.jpg

However a few of my ghost shrimp died within minutes of starting the system, due to my naïveté regarding co2 systems I didn't have the regulator set low and the bubble count was at least 50 right out the gate, but my fish are all healthy and swimming around, they actually seemed perplexed about the stream of bubbles and are sitting next to it watching. Now I'm testing out the timer, the small amount that comes out when the solenoid off is called a night flow right? It's like 1 bubble every 4-5 seconds.

M3 or m2, I can't remember. I read good things about that brand too. I use 30 for my working pressure and fine tune from there. The pic was hard to see the exact numbers on your gauges. "They" say most diffuser work well at 30psi, but I'm sure their may be some wiggle room.

Confirmation it does say m3 on it! And mines sitting at 10-15 working psi right now, ill try to kick it to 30 and see what happens

I use pH controller so the timer method I'm fuzzy on myself. I'm learning too. When on though, the working pressure gauge may bounce down and up just a little. When off, the bubbles will slow down.

Sure, no problem. Glad I could help. This is a good site and there are a lot of good people very knowledgeable; don't hesitate to ask. I've learned a lot here!

Another helpful tip, you can get a brass bubble counter that mounts directly to regulator, could make things easier dialing things in too.

I ordered mine, around $25 I think. I haven't seen them at the main chain store but maybe some local fish store may. You can always upgrade later. Do you have drop checker?

I intended on making a drop checker my next purchase! And ill look into a bubble counter! Maybe wait to find a sale or a cheap one on amazon!

That's been one of my go to sites lately for all sorts of stuff, lol. I recommend looking into drop checkers first as this will help you along the way monitor CO2 within the tank. Good luck!

When you get a drop checker make sure to get some 4dKH solution with it. eBay usually has it and it makes the drop checker much more accurate. If you have an API low range pH test kit you can use the reagent from the kit with the DC also. It's better than most of the stuff that comes with most DCs.

For the timer, I have mine come on about two hours before the lights and it turns off an hour before the lights turn off. This is a common way of setting the timer for a CO2 system and it has a lot of advantages. It lets the tank slowly build up co2 to almost full strength before the lights are on which is great for stability and because co2 remains in the water for a while after the system shuts down it gives the plants time to slightly reoxygenate the water before the lights turn off (good for the animals).

That's great advice! For the time being I'm having to use the same timer for my lights and for my co2, I'm slowly trying to purchase the odds and ends! I would've been able to get it sooner but I spent money making a little kit to fill my co2 tank when needed, I have a tank in my garage taller than I am for filling it and I have to buy quite a bit to make it a filling station of sorts so I won't have to pay the $15 every 5 months

Back
Top Bottom