Just killed my best Fish :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesrm

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, left for work this morning and everything in my Mbuna tank (Relatively new, stocking was

1 pair Mali Chiclids
4 Albinos
3 Goldens
2 Blue (forgot the name, sorry)

In a 75g extremely overfiltered tank (2 Rena XP3's)

I know it was understocked, but I was going slowly and adding new species as my LFS got in neat ones.

When I got back, I noticed my male Mawi (or Mali, not sure) floating, and 2 of the smaller ones on the bottom. I just about flipped out. All of the fish had just about lost their color. I noticed the others swimming on the top, but all looking to have breathing stress. No signs of ich, all water prams perfect, and I had done a PWC 2 days before of about 25%.

Then it occured to me. I had really came close to overfilling the tank, leaving no air gap between the glass and water. The only thing it could have been to kill the fish was suffocation.

I feel like ****. That was my favorite fish of all of my tanks. I saw a single male Mawi or w/e at Petsmart, might go rescue him now if the female makes it.

I don't have an emergancy air source, as I have a generator if the power went out. I wish I had one now. I opened the lid, aimed both filter returns up to agitate the water, and splashed around the surface a lot.

:puppydogeyes:

Sorry for your loss. What are your parameters? How new is the tank? Did you do a fishless cycle before any stocking? Did you add dechlorinator when you did your pwc? It may have been lack of oxygen and it may have been something in the water directly.

All of the other fish are looking better now.

Zagz, yeah the tank was great. 0/0/0 . Tank was 3 months old and cycled for a month using pure amonia. Yup, added dechlorinator. I have been doing this awhile, I have 3 tank setups currently and 2 under construction ;)

I think if it was anything other than lack of O2 that I would have lost everyone and there would be other signs.

Is the tank planted? Nitrates should be present in a fully cycled tank. Had you done any major filter cleaning or anything that might have destroyed the beneficial bacteria? I'd keep a close eye on the parameters anyway just to be safe that you get no ammonia or nitrite spikes. Hopefully it was just an oxygen issue. Once again sorry for your loss.

DeFeKt said:

Hhhmmmmm.
What are the REAL test results?

I really have no idea why you fail to believe me, if you were not half a world away I would mail you some water. Why would I ask for help and post false results? I test ammonia/nitrite every 3 or 4 days and nitrate every week or so.

All of my tanks (all fully cycled) hardly ever have nitrates. Once my cycles were completed (all using the pure ammonia method) the nitrate totally went away. I know my test kit works (AP Master) as it read nitrates during cycle. This particular tank is not planted, has lots of stones for hiding and PH buffer as its mainly an Mbuna tank.

You should be having a Nitrate reading, especially since the tank is not planted. If you don't have a reading I would assume it's not cycled. I think that's what DeFeKt was getting at. I'd check your test kit. It may be old. 10 fish in a 75 gal tank isn't a big bioload but you should still have Nitrates. I'd take a sample to the lfs and have them test it just to double check. It doesn't hurt to verify. I do that every 3 or 4 months just to make sure my test kit hasn't gone bad and is giving me inaccurate readings.

I have two seperate kits, I will do tests on all 3 tanks with each kit. I haev a 30 gal in my office at work and it has its own supplies. I know there should be nitrates, the only reason I thought they might not be present in my other two tanks would be they are also over filtered and have a lot of surface agitation from airstones (I use bubble walls for decor a lot)

I will test with both AP kits and let you know what I come up with.

The Nitrates won't be reduced due to air stones. In fact, if the bubble wands cause too much surface aggitation and the water evaporates faster, it should increase your nitrates since the dilution would be less. The first step would be to test your test kits though. I used to keep mine for about 6 months before buying a new one since they sat on the shelves so long at our small lfs. But now taht I buy from Big Al's I usually keep them for about a year then buy new.

Why would I ask for help and post false results?
I have no idea?
Maybe your not actually cycled? Maybe your test kit is stuffed?
Maybe you just felt like it?
There is a number of possibilities. All of which we can only help you to come to a conclusion.. There is obviously an issue here, and it needs to be looked into to determine the REAL source of it. (y)

In all due respect, don't assume somebody is having an attack at you just because you don't like the way they said something.

These might help.
yeah the tank was great. 0/0/0 .

Once my cycles were completed (all using the pure ammonia method) the nitrate totally went away.

You should be having a Nitrate reading, especially since the tank is not planted

Nitrates should be present in a fully cycled tank.
8O

I think that's what DeFeKt was getting at.

Correct :) :kiss:
Let us know what the new test results show, and we shall continue on our journey.

Back
Top Bottom