Just starting what do u think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tysob44

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so my tank has been running since 2/14 it's a 26g bowfront with 20 pounds live sand and 10 pounds live rock( plan on getting more soon) I put in some bio spira to get the cycle moving along I took my water to petco today for testing this is what they gave me nitrate 20 ppm... Nitrite it was between .5 and 1.0... Ph was 8.4 and alk was 300 salinity was 1.024 how is this looking

Ok so my tank has been running since 2/14 it's a 26g bowfront with 20 pounds live sand and 10 pounds live rock( plan on getting more soon) I put in some bio spira to get the cycle moving along I took my water to petco today for testing this is what they gave me nitrate 20 ppm... Nitrite it was between .5 and 1.0... Ph was 8.4 and alk was 300 salinity was 1.024 how is this looking

I like bio spira
Let me guess they used test strips?
All of the petcos around me do.
I strongly suggest buying a liquid test kit. I use api saltwater master kit and have found it is cheaper ordering from somewhere like
drsfostersmith.com

What was you're ammonia level? And what are you using for an ammonia source?

As you probably know already
You want ammonia at 0
Nitrite 0
And nitrates as low as possible preferably 5 or lower

Are you planning on fowlr or reef

I used bio spira and my tank was cycled in 10 days :)

They didn't test my ammonia I wish they would have... And since I used the bio spira I put a damsel in the tank... I plan on getting a liquid reef testing kit... And I plan on about 25-40 pounds of rock depending on the pieces and how they fit it the tank and I plan on a reef tank been researching for about 1-2 months now excited to get it started

Ok well if its the API reef kit you still want the saltwater kit.
Here is what I use

API saltwater master kit
(ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, high range Ph)
And I also use
API carbonate hardness kh test
API calcium test
And I'm fixing to buy the phosphate test

What type of fish are you wanting?
I didn't cycle with fish I had a ammonia source then used bio spira then once everything but nitrates were 0 I done a water change and added a pair of clowns

Reason I asked about what fish you want is damsels can be a little aggressive and a pain to remove from a tank with live rock.

I would definitely add more rock as soon as you can

Yeah the strips are not as accurate and you definitely need them to test ammonia

I love my saltwater tank and I think you will too I've had mine cycled for over a month now and have 4 fish and 5 coral frags and various cuc

I want pair of clowns flame angel and maybe one more heard the flame angel can be hit or miss... I am thinking of returning the damsel he is not ultimately what I want in tank only had him for like 2 days

I want pair of clowns flame angel and maybe one more heard the flame angel can be hit or miss... I am thinking of returning the damsel he is not ultimately what I want in tank only had him for like 2 days

Yeah returning the damsel would be a good idea IMO but I wouldn't add fish until you are done cycling. if you need an ammonia source use a raw shrimp from your grocery store or add fish food to keep it going

Your tank is a little smaller than mine but I have a pair of clowns and 2 green chromis so far and planning on a 6 line wrasse, firefish, and a goby mine is 36 gallons

What about just adding pure ammonia from the grocery store... A guy at my lfs told me that would work

What about just adding pure ammonia from the grocery store... A guy at my lfs told me that would work

Yes but make sure... I repeat make sure it is pure ammonia. A lot of people use ammonia from Ace Hardware but just name sure what you buy has no scent or additives

I have a 55 gallon sitting in my garage I wanted to use that but I like the look of the bowfront also the gf said she didn't want that big thing in the house so I am gonna have to wow her with this tank so she will ok the bigger tank that or just get rid of her lol cuz I eventually would like a 120

Yes he did mention that no smells or anything has to be pure

Without having your own test kits its gonna be hard to dose the ammonia though

Well if she allows the 26 she will let you go bigger lol. My wife was against mine now she loves it as much as me

And as for getting rid of her... umm... There are some things that the aquarium won't do for you lol

That is true I didn't even think of that... Well hopefully the taxes get back soon then my tank it gonna be all set

That is true I didn't even think of that... Well hopefully the taxes get back soon then my tank it gonna be all set

Yeah I bought my setup used for $150 bucks but most of the equipment was messed up. I saved one if the circulation pumps and the company that manufactured the heater replaced it for free. Everything else I bought new. It isn't cheap but go slow and its affordable :)

This forum is awesome I have learned a lot and if it wasnt for the people on here I wouldn't have even started a saltwater tank lol.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions btw

As for test kits I ordered from drsfostersmith for $20 all the lfs around me wanted $30-35 plus tax and on that site if you order over $49 it was free shipping

There is another site I think its bulkreefsupply

Awesome yay I was looking around and it does seem lfs want way more for the test kits and thanks I am sure I am gonna have tons of questions

Also I have a powerhead 802 should that create enough flow or should I get 2 for more of a random flow

Also I have a powerhead 802 should that create enough flow or should I get 2 for more of a random flow

What is the gph rating on it?

I looked it up it is 400

I would invest in a circulation pump. I like the hydor ones they use magnets instead of suction cups to mount.

I use 2 circulation pumps I have a hydor rated at 550gph and a maxi jet rated at 500

The maxi jets are cool to you can set them up as a circulation pump, power head or utility pump and they are low priced

Back
Top Bottom