Just want to say thank you!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pedikeens11

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the help with you have given me for these fish. With everyone's advice and experience I was able to get me 30g up and cycled and move these guys from a horrible situation into a more enjoyable life! Just moved them last night from their temporary 10g last night.
I have noticed my silver dollars do not hide anymore amd come right up to eat at the top!!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1397742245171.jpg
    1397742245171.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 1397742261803.jpg
    1397742261803.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 1397742274769.jpg
    1397742274769.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 1397742290200.jpg
    1397742290200.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 133
Oh and if anyone has any ideas on the other side of the tank....greatly appreciated....brain freeze on ideas.

Just plant a ton of anarchis, all those fish will enjoy swimming through plants vs. any caves it dw structure I'd imagine! Nice job by the way;)

Can i put plants in the tank? All I have is sand at the bottom I didn't put any soil.

Ya, anarchis don't even really need to be planted, doesn't hurt though .. They will help with water quality too.

Alright that sounds like a great idea...I put the fake plants in cause the silver dollars are known to eat most plants...

Ohhhh, I appologise, they will prob eat anarchis than, fake tall plants it is:D

Lol no its giving me ideas for my other tank....I think I over researched planted tanks and in doin so I avoided it....

No live plants with Silver dollars since they are herbivores. Plants don't need dirt as their substrate either. Most substrates work for them except really large grained gravel/rocks.

Well looks like my last tank will have plants now that I know this....thanks guys!!!

I've never tested it out with herbivores myself, but I've heard java fern is tough and bitter enough to deter plant-destroyers. I have some in my two tanks, and they grow in gravel just fine. I drop a bit of liquid ferts in....when I remember, which is VERY sporadic. :angel:

I'm not sure how they do in sand- I think not well, since they need water circulation around their roots. BUT I know if you get some lava rock or driftwood, they root to it just fine (been meaning to do it with mine); tie them to it with fishing line or rubber bands until they latch on. They have long thin leaves that I think your angel would really enjoy.

Your tank looks great! Keep posting pictures as you become inspired and finish your scape :)

Java fern and anarchis...im def gona try some of these plants out in the tank with my silver dollars. Some people say as long as they are well fed they dont bother the plants to well. I was wondering how I could feed these guys some spinach or lettuce. Ive put it on top of the tank and turned the filter on amd off for over 20 mins. Not sure if they are scared of it cause they just watch it come closer than back up. Any ideas on how I could anchor it lower in tje tank with less movement so they can come check it out?
Angel seems to be still quite scared of any movement but since moving the silver dollars...they follow me around the tank. Def voracious eaters!!!
Can cories eat algae wafers?

I use veggie clips that can be suction cupped anywhere in the tank. They work very well.

Silver dollars like goldfish prefer soft, tender plants like Anacharis but tend to leave Java Ferns, Bolbitus, and Anubia alone. Even when fed a diet rich in veggies those tender leaf plants tend to get munched on.

Alright ill be visiting my lfs today and will look for those. Just read that they like the algae waffers as well?
Was thinking of putting some more fish in the tank (30g) with them. 1 angel, 2 silver dollar, and 5 albino cories. Should I wait longer? If so how much longer? If not what else can I put in here?
Ive decided for the other side of the tank im goin to put more rocks, some dw, and surround it and the back with random size fake plants....ill take pics once im done.

Honestly I would let the fish settle in and get eating well before thinking about adding any other fish.

I use a type of algae wafers, Repashy Superfoods (the two algae ones), and New Era Plec Pellets which are good sized and actually soft.

Alright sounds good...prob be a good thing to get the tank completed then add more fish anyway...ill be looking into plants...waffers u suggested, peas, and veggie clips...thank u do ur help!!! Id be lost without this forum!!!

Can cories eat algae wafers?

It's Ok if Cories eat some of the Algae Wafers, but they should have a meat based diet. Frozen/thawed bloodworms or Brine Shrimp, sinking Shrimp Pellets, catfish food.
Live Brine will drive them nuts :)

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive tried brine shrimp and it just floats at the top of my tank...none of the fish touch it. Not even my betta fish.

Back
Top Bottom