Just wanted to tell everyone about an experience I had from an LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adimatteo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey All,

Just wanted to tell everyone about an experience I had from an LFS, and a major reason why not to dump water with fish in it from an LFS tank into your tank. So first of all, I went to get some cleaner shrimp today, a skunk shrimp and a fire shrimp. Anyways, the LFS guy first grabbed some water from the tank and put it in a bag along with the skunk shrimp that came from that tank. After that, he put a fire shrimp in the bag, that came from another tank. First thing I thought to myself was, isn't each tank different, and shouldn't the fire shrimp be in a separate bag. Anyways, I went home and started the drip method to acclimate them, but before this I was sure to test the LFS water. Their Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 160+. I say 160+ because the test only goes that high, and after an hour that I had my water dripping into the LFS's water I retested for nitrates and still got 160 ppm. That's pretty much all I wanted to say, and to warn people not to put LFS water into your tank. Also, I guess the shrimp that I got are pretty hardy to withstand 160 nitrates.

Not putting LFS water in your tank is always good advice. There can be some crazy stuff in there like nitrates and even copper.

Chances are the 2 tanks the shrimp came from were connected/plumbed together. Still, I've only seen lfs'rs put EACH shrimp in different bags to keep from possibly hurting each other on the way home.

I had a similar experience. I went to Petco and the guy had no idea what he was doing. He shoved 7 Neons from a totally different tank into the same bag with the Dwarf Gourami. The tanks were not connected because there is a wall of tropical community fish on one side, and in the middle there is a little island with semi-aggressive fish.
Not to mention the fact that the guy grabbed the fish from the net with his fingers!!!!

In the end, the Neons ended up having Ich, and unfortunately two died.

Back
Top Bottom