Kalk Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

COLCORAL

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a reef tank set up for approximately 7 years. In the past year I have been adding a lot more corals (since I got my halides). This may be a really stupid question about kalk. I know you are suppose to use it, but my calcium levels are always between 450 and 550 (without snow), my ph is right on, my alk has always been a little high. I use coral-vite once a week and try to do water changes at least once a month. Should I be trying to use Kalk with those kind of calcuim levels. I have just been watching it, thinking one day I might need it. I am getting nice growth on my corals and my coraline looks good. Any comments, insights or suggestions.

Don't change what works until you have a reason to. What salt mix are you using to maintain such high levels? Kalk works well to maintain your CA and ALK levels. As long as your parameters are stable I see no reasons to start using kalk.

I use instant ocean and filtered tap water. (I have a great filter but not RO) It has a ceramic filter, carbon filter, and UV component. The coral-vite also has calcium with all the other goodies too.

Using Kalk with your current water parameters will cause problems for you. Just keep testing regularly and don't worry about dosing anything until you're not able to maintain levels with just water changes.

Back
Top Bottom