Kalkwasser supplementing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to Ryan from BulkReefSupply, the inventory of calcium chloride they have was manufactured before Dow made the change in their process.
I was able to find, locally, old stock DowFlake and Peladow. I checked before I bought it and both were made in 06. You may have the same luck. The code for DowFlake that was made before the change starts with the letter U. The new DowFlake bag even says "New" on it. I paid $13 for 50lbs of DowFlake and $15 for 50lbs of Peladow. :)

Would you happen to know how to tell the manufacture date for Peladow. The local stores don't have any in stock, but there are 5 pallets of the stuff where I work. I checked a bag but did not see anything that specifically said the mfg date. Curiously though there is a marking of "11-06" on the side of the bag.

So what happens when the current stock runs out? Does anyone besides DOW make these chemicals?
I currently work at a bio-pharma and was at a couple of other pharmaceuticals before. Checking with the lab folks, even the pharma grade chems come from Dow at their source.

It's the same code. My bag has the code printed length-wise on the side, but it's impossible to read because it's smeared. When I got it, they had about 4 bags of the old stock and about 10 pallets of the new stuff. The new Peladow bags are a little different. I can take a pic of my bag if that will help. My bag also has that 11-06 printed on it on the side. All the new Dow stuff, no matter what grade, has the high bromide.

Tetra makes calcium chloride that uses a different process than Dow. Supposedly it's a better manufacturing process. They have food grade stuff that's good to use. The only place I was able to track it down was Interstate Chemical, Hermitage, PA 724-981-3771 and they only sell it in 110lb barrels or more.

Time for a group buy! Dow also sells food grade, but with the higher bromide. I just re-read the thread on RC and Randy stated last week that he doesn't think the higher levels are anything to be concerned about. We just don't know what level of bromide is too high. Also it appears that many have been using the newer formulation with no adverse effects. I guess time will tell on this one.

I see on Tetr'as site that they are still making Bromide. That's why the calcium is so low in it. They are stiill extracting it for sale seperately. Dow stopped extracting it.

I ordered from BulkReefSupply for now as the lot number on our pallets begins with a V. It was manufactured 2/1/07. The guy from facilities called me today to come down to his buuilding and pick up a bag or two. I told him I didn't want it because it was too new. He went and checked what they have on their loading dock and JACKPOT. FIVE BAGS of Dowflake made in 2003 and couple of pallets of Peladow also made in 2003. I grabbed one bag of Peladow for now. The Dowflake is in a brown paper bag with a plastic liner. It absorbed moisture and is hard, though it powders up again if dropped/hit, etc. He told me I could have the 4 bags or Dowflake for FREE. Now to find a place to store them. :D

NICE SCORE! That will last you forever. Yep, just smash the DowFlake. 50 lbs of Peladow will last a few years. (y)

Back
Top Bottom