Keep bubbles on all day and night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
_skyla_ said:
Yeah I'm the same my bubble curtain stays on all the time and lights on when I wake and off at night. If you worried about fry getting stuck in the filter you could try covering your filter intake with some pantyhose or a sponge so they can't get sucked in. Oh and I feed mine twice a day once in the morning and before lights off :)

I will certainly take a look at covering the filter intake. Good idea :) thanks

flavia21 said:
I will certainly take a look at covering the filter intake. Good idea :) thanks

No probs I have both my tanks covered with pantyhose to stop the fry and shrimplets getting sucked in.

im going to chime in and say there is a sponge from fluval for the intake so shrimplets and fry dont get sucked up but i use them on all my filters even my eheim, and i have to keep my bubbler on 24/7 cause i have a pressurized co2 and when it turns off at night the plants release co2. so to not let my fish suffocate for co2 poisoning i keep the surface agitated by the bubbler. im sure some would say i shouldnt run it during the day so the plants get the full co2 but i have seen my plants grow at a great rate with the bubbler and just incase it malfunctions and releases too much, the bubbler helps keep oxygen in my tank.
just my two cents:D

_skyla_ said:
No probs I have both my tanks covered with pantyhose to stop the fry and shrimplets getting sucked in.

I was just thinking won't it slow down the filtration or clog? Do you have any of these problems?

Annakhil said:
im going to chime in and say there is a sponge from fluval for the intake so shrimplets and fry dont get sucked up but i use them on all my filters even my eheim, and i have to keep my bubbler on 24/7 cause i have a pressurized co2 and when it turns off at night the plants release co2. so to not let my fish suffocate for co2 poisoning i keep the surface agitated by the bubbler. im sure some would say i shouldnt run it during the day so the plants get the full co2 but i have seen my plants grow at a great rate with the bubbler and just incase it malfunctions and releases too much, the bubbler helps keep oxygen in my tank.
just my two cents:D

Don't this filters clog and slow down filtration?

flavia21 said:
I was just thinking won't it slow down the filtration or clog? Do you have any of these problems?
Sometimes but it's not a problem I just clean it when it's needed and it's back to normal. I just pull all the muck off that caught around the pantyhose once a week when I do a water change. And alls you'd do is give the sponge a clean if u went that. Route either way it's better than loosing fry

i have never had any problems, i just turn the filter off durring pwc's and take the sponge and swish it around the old tank water in a bucket to clean it, it actually helps you cause it hold bb as well as the sponges in the filter.

Thanks guys lots of help! :) I will get myself a Sponge or the pantyhose

Great I will certainly take this into consideration.
The reason I asked about keeping the bubbles on was because I believe the reason one of my 1 inch baby mollies died was because of the bubble curtain and got caught in the filter. But I have been keeping an eye on my fish with it on and they seem to be doing ok. I'm just afraid another one may get stuck in the filter again.

You could put a piece on nylon stocking over it, or sponge :) sorry about you baby mollie.

Scottyhorse said:
You could put a piece on nylon stocking over it, or sponge :) sorry about you baby mollie.

Thanks for the help will do so :)

Back
Top Bottom