keep rose anemone alive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandarin man

Aquarium Advice Regular
i just got a very young bubble tip anemone and I want to make sure it stays alive. I will feed it some marine cuisine if he catches it as i feed my fish, but i also will give him some silverside. I have kept a long tentacle anemone alive for bout 6 months now that is symbiotic with my tomato clown. i am hoping my black and white percula will take a liking to my new bubble tip. just looking for some maybe little pointers from past experience. any feed back will help thank you.

tank spec: 55 gal reef 50 lbs of live rock and about 30-40 lbs live sand. enouhgh lighting dont know exact wattage but blue actinic and fluorescent lighting

What type of lighting?? This is important thing here... you say florescent? VHO or NO.. You should be ok if you have had the LTA alive for 6 months. Just watch them if they move around and start to sting each other. I have a Green BTA and I feed it every few weeks some shrimp chunks. Silver sides are fine also..

its my understanding that a rose anemone is just a rare coloration of the BTA, which is an easy one to keep. If you've kept a LTA, the rose BTA shouldn't be a problem as long as the two stay far apart and don't sting each other.

The RBTA or any BTA has a primary diet of crustaceans. fresh raw shrimp for your grocer soaked in some vitamins is the best thing to feed it. Don't peel off the shell, it will remove all the nutrients it needs from the chitin and then expell it. Light is only important for keeping color, the zoozanthale in a BTA is used to de-toxify ammonia and to try to keep up the nutrition in the abscense of food. However light alone is not enough to keep any anemone healthy.
Begin by feeding it one shrimp every other day, bump it up to two if the BTA will accept it. Anemones are carnivores, and its widely mistaken that they are primarily photosyntetic. Strong lights will keep it alive for a while, but it needs to eat. Keep in mind that an anemone produces the same amount of ammonia:body mass that a fish does, so your filtration will need to be able to handle the extra load.
If your feeding it the right food it shouldn't "poop" the big ammonia ball that you'll read about in other posts. An anemone eating proper food should only regurgitate the un digestible material and not excess waste.
Best of luck.
Oh, as far as your clown, a bubble tip should have a bare minimum of a 4 inch oral disc to host a clown fish. Anything smaller is likely doomed to be loved to death.

thanks for all the info. my lighting is VHO i believe. it is a 48 inch coral life. in lamens terms it has the dual, blue and white flourescent bulbs. so do u think the silverside will be enough or do i relly need to go out and find these shrimp. the anemone is maybe 2 inch in diameter like i said very small and young just split from another tank about 3 weeks ago

Silver sides are fine, giving it a variety is a good thing so pick up a few shrimp at the store when you go shopping. You should figure out what type of lighting you have. Is it the light that came with the tank? If its VHO there will be a ballast that it hooks into do you have that? Only 2 bulbs on the light. you don't want to stuff in a large piece of shrimp so make sure its a good size for the bta to eat.

Brisc0 said:
Light is only important for keeping color, the zoozanthale in a BTA is used to de-toxify ammonia and to try to keep up the nutrition in the abscense of food. However light alone is not enough to keep any anemone healthy......Anemones are carnivores, and its widely mistaken that they are primarily photosyntetic. Strong lights will keep it alive for a while, but it needs to eat. Keep in mind that an anemone produces the same amount of ammonia:body mass that a fish does, so your filtration will need to be able to handle the extra load.
Care to back up that rather conclusive statement with some verifiable facts :?:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom