Keeping barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyle567

Aquarium Advice Regular
He I currently have 5 golden barbs and 6 rosy barbs in a 75 gallon with a red tailed shark anyone have any recommendations of fish to get next?

He I currently have 5 golden barbs and 6 rosy barbs in a 75 gallon with a red tailed shark anyone have any recommendations of fish to get next?

2-3 more of each, and maybe a small school of Green Tiger Barbs for color contrast? Kuhlii loaches or sidthimunkis for bottom feeders?

I'd be a little wary of that red-tail: they can get aggressive as they get older.

2-3 more of each, and maybe a small school of Green Tiger Barbs for color contrast? Kuhlii loaches or sidthimunkis for bottom feeders?

I'd be a little wary of that red-tail: they can get aggressive as they get older.
Nice one Thanks

Yeah my red tail shark is super aggressive. I can't have any other bottom dwellers and when it's feeding time he chases everyone so he gets the best bits. The only fish he won't pick on is my severum, he knows better.

we had to get rid of our red tailed black shark as it got very agressive over the whole tank and hurt one of our albino tiger barbs but its fine now ...the only other agressive fish we got is yellow lab but he only aggresive to female one but not all the time the tiger barbs are quite placid considering they supposed to be agressive in less then 6 ...we only got 3 did have 4 until recently

Maybe some albino tiger barbs, they look beautiful in small shoals

You could add 3 Tinfoil barbs. They get pretty big though. :) for a bottom feeder school you could add 3 clown loaches or some kuhlis. :)

Yeah my red tail shark is super aggressive. I can't have any other bottom dwellers and when it's feeding time he chases everyone so he gets the best bits. The only fish he won't pick on is my severum, he knows better.
How long have you had yours I've had mine a month and he's currently smaller than everything in the tank so doesn't seem to show any aggression

Thanks all, did your red tail sharks become aggressive with age mine is smaller than all the over fish currently and is displaying no signs of aggression

Thanks all, did your red tail sharks become aggressive with age mine is smaller than all the over fish currently and is displaying no signs of aggression

I've kept plenty, luckily all have been not too aggressive, they would chase other fish from there "territory" but that is all. They are super messy fish so be ready for siphoning all there mulm out

I've kept plenty, luckily all have been not too aggressive, they would chase other fish from there "territory" but that is all. They are super messy fish so be ready for siphoning all there mulm out
Yeah I'm hoping mine will be okay if not I'll just have to get rid of him

Get 4-5 Denison barbs....
They are great fish and will likely do well in your 75..
I have a large group in my 180 .Some going on 5 + years with 4 new ones just added.
They used to be pretty expensive but if you are lucky petsmart has them pretty cheap often.
The are also known as 'Roseline sharks'...

I'll second the denison barb recommendation. I kept a small group in both a 65 gal and a 90 gal, they are very peaceful, great colours, and active swimmers.

I do really like them but I don't live near many fish shops in England so I've never seen them for sale

I do really like them but I don't live near many fish shops in England so I've never seen them for sale

Can you find rainbow sharks instead of red tail black's? They are "somewhat" agreed upon as "less" aggressive than the red tail's. I kept 2 in a 65 gal and they didn't bug each other any more than they did with the other inhabitants.

Edit: I'm not recommending keeping 2 together, just stating I could make it work. I don't advise on doing it unless you have another tank to separate them if need be.

Can you find rainbow sharks instead of red tail black's? They are "somewhat" agreed upon as "less" aggressive than the red tail's. I kept 2 in a 65 gal and they didn't bug each other any more than they did with the other inhabitants.

Edit: I'm not recommending keeping 2 together, just stating I could make it work. I don't advise on doing it unless you have another tank to separate them if need be.
Yeah there is a very limited supply there isn't very often different fish there are just the usual simple fish, have you ever ordered fish on the internet?

Yeah there is a very limited supply there isn't very often different fish there are just the usual simple fish, have you ever ordered fish on the internet?

I find myself in the same boat, the majority of users seem to be in the states, which is an incredible luxury given the supply and pricing on cool fish/shrimp/plants. I laugh when (no offense to my American neighbors) they complain about higher prices, if only they knew what I have to pay/settle for in Canada. LOL.

Anyway, I have ordered shrimp and plants online, for the most part I can find the fish I am after, but I always look for a source that is somewhat close to me to ensure no more than 2 days travel. I also have to watch the weather.... too cold in the winter too hot in the summer. Generally, I would consider looking online. Just try and find a reputable seller that has a live arrival policy.

I find myself in the same boat, the majority of users seem to be in the states, which is an incredible luxury given the supply and pricing on cool fish/shrimp/plants. I laugh when (no offense to my American neighbors) they complain about higher prices, if only they knew what I have to pay/settle for in Canada. LOL.

Anyway, I have ordered shrimp and plants online, for the most part I can find the fish I am after, but I always look for a source that is somewhat close to me to ensure no more than 2 days travel. I also have to watch the weather.... too cold in the winter too hot in the summer. Generally, I would consider looking online. Just try and find a reputable seller that has a live arrival policy.
Yeah that's a good idea to order when the weather is good I don't think many fish would survive delivery in the English winter weather, I've never seen shrimp for sale either here I'm sure places have them but I've never seen them

Yeah that's a good idea to order when the weather is good I don't think many fish would survive delivery in the English winter weather, I've never seen shrimp for sale either here I'm sure places have them but I've never seen them

https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/12-shrimp

Aquarium shrimps plants aquascaping London

https://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/

Tropical Fish By Post.co.uk : The UK's No. 1 Online Tropical Fish Store

Tropical Fish and Accessories for sale online- Aquatics To Your Door

Would any of these work?

Back
Top Bottom