keeping fry with other holding mothers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeFeKt

Aquarium Advice Addict
hi guys,

heres the situation.
I HAD 4 maingano females holding.
1 spat in the tank, due to lack of room, 2 went into floating 2Litre breeding traps I made, and 1 into a clear hangon breeding trap. now...one has spit in a 2litre breeding trap, which now holds 23 fry, she is back in the tank.
Question is, is it safe to put another mother into the trap with the existing fry from a different batch to let her spit in there? or should I avoid this?
The fry are only a few days old atm and I think there is not enough room in the clear plastic trap for her. plus she seems to be uneasy being trapped in the clear cage.

Another problem is the female that was just released back into the main tank a few days ago, due to nowhere to keep her and feed her up, has started to hold again.
If need be, and she hasn't recovered properly, i guess she will need to be stripped if she starts to wither away.

For those who do this, whats your preferred method?

thanks in advance

Matty

Perhaps you should set up another tank for females. They do breed like rabbits. I personally would just isolate her and let nature takes its course. She gets stripped and chances she'll be holding again anyway. She may not be able to go back into the tank right away after spitting. The idea of a separate tank for females could be the relief they need to get strong again before being put back into the community.

I've never had a problem putting holding females together and then just taking each out as they spit. Being the female is holding, she wouldn't eat them. They are not seen as a threat either. They might eat some after spitting and that's true even of the mother, so the risks are neither more or less either way.

Back
Top Bottom