Keeping Live Rock Live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I'm breaking down my 110g. The problem is, I'm trying to upgrade to a 6 foot tank but I'm having a hard time finding a used set-up near me. I HAVE to break down the 110g now due to work being done on the house. So, I'm planning on keeping the contents of my fuge and the rock from my main tank (about 200lbs in total) in a 50g bin in my basement with a powerhead and a heater. I've got lots of critters and obviously live rock that has been in this tank for 2 1/2 years. This stuff may end up sitting there for 2-3 months until I get a bigger set-up going in the basement. Obviously the pods will be fine with flake or filter feeder food, but would that keep the rock alive for 2-3 months? Once the new tank is up, would it be necessary to re-cycle the rock?

Thanks as always.

- Skins

maybe just drop a small feeding of mysis or something equivalent into the bucket, allowing it to break down and essentially feed the rock? Probably do that once ever few days i would think, but that should keep the amm-trite-trate cycle going.

I`m thinking add a few pinches of flake in there once or twice a week and that should keep the bacteria going. You`ll need to keep track of the water parameters and do PWC`s so your inverts dont get overwelmed.

Back
Top Bottom