Keeping mollies in freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking for an addition to my tank, I'm thinking about adding 2-3 mollies. I've heard that some salt should be added to water housing mollies, I have some questions:
1. Is salt a must or is it better, but not 100% nessessery? In other words, is there anyone who has kept successfully mollies without addition of salt?
2. If I have to add some salt to the water, what other fish can (and what fish cannot) tolerate salt in the water?

Mollies are brackish fish. I have seen seen/caught some wild ones in the Indian River ( a brackish river near me). Therefore they can tolerate saltwater and freshwater, but their life span will definately shorten. In other words, for the fish's well being, you should not get any.

I avoided Mollies for that simple reason, they do much better with a brackish environment. I used to keep them in a freshwater tank and they did ok, but did not seem to last as long as my platies and swords.

I would have to agree with Blazeherd2306.

JMHO

I've been keeping mollies in Freshwater since I started in fish tanks. In the process have raised over 15 fry (others were eaten). It is true that they are brackish fish, but I haven't had any issues yet.

Their lifespan may be shortened, I just haven't seen it happen yet, considering I've only had them for about a year. How long do Mollies live in Freshwater environments?

I wasn't saying mollies need brackish water (most originate from brackish water). They can live in both saltwater and freshwater, but keeping them in a brackish environment is much healthier for them (By keeping them in freshwater you are not giving them great health therefore they would not live as long as in brackish water). Putting them in freshwater or saltwater is not the best for them, but if you absolutely want mollies and want to keep them in freshwater then go for it! I just like to keep my fish in their natural setting as best as I can and if I had mollies, I would keep them in brackish water.

Thank you, guys! How about my second question. I'm especially need to know what fish I CANNOT keep in the water with small amounts of salt added.

In my tank i have roughly 1 tbs per 5 gal but some times i dont add any after a pwc . All my fish are fine and have been for about 2 1/2 months. And with plants and adf's... so if you decide to have mollies just add a tiny bit of salt to the water. But thats just my opinion!

Aquarium salt does not work the same as marine salt. Mollies need marine salt for living in brackish water, but don't worry about it. Your mollies will do fine in freshwater, its just that they do better in brackish.

Oh I wasn't doubting you blaze. I was just wondering what the life span is of a molly in freshwater conditions compared to brackish.

So what your saying is i'm wasting all this salt?? The people i know with aquariums use doc well fish salt with their mollies. I know my salt adds electrolytes, natural slime development, and fish health. But if i dont need it i will only add the salt everyonce and awhile for fish health.

An all natural salt, made from evaporated sea water. Helps improve gill function to reduce stress. Reduces electrolyte loss, promotes healthy gill function and temporarily blocks nitrite toxicity. Contains the seven electrolytes necessary to maintain healthy freshwater fish. Can be used with most aquarium remedies to improve recovery from disease

Is that a good reason to add it to a tank?

It's not necessary. Some people use it, but most don't unless treating for ich. I don't have it in any of my tanks.

I always have aquarium salt just in case a disease spreads in one of my tanks, so its not a waste. Most mollies come from brackish water and are healthier in brackish water. Aquarium salt is for freshwater tanks, not for brackish or marine tanks, believe me aquarium salt and marine salt (i.e Instant Ocean) are alot different than you think.

FF- I'm not sure what the difference is in fresh vs. brackish, it really depends on the type of molly. Sailfin mollies are brackish and saltwater while some other mollies are freshwater and brackish, but either way brackish works best for them.

To answer the original question of what other fish can be kept, Livebearers can tolerate some salt and guppies can tollerate more than other livebearers except mollies. I'm running about a table spoon per 5 gallon in my tank, but I know with water changes and evaporation I've lost track. The salt stays in the tank thru evaporation, but when you physically take it out you lose it. So on some water changes I've added it back, but I'm a little afraid of making it to salty. I need a refractometer(measure salinity) to be more precise.

Back
Top Bottom