Keeping mushrooms under control ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've cut down recently to once a week and seen a difference ( for the worse but could be coincidence ) in some of my zoas ! Granted I can't test for it but 1 pipett drop in a 105 gallon system isn't going to overdose ! I've only lost a torch coral in the last 3 years and that was when I upgraded to a larger tank ! 1 drop a day has worked as far as I can see and although I can't explain the physics behind it I believe if it ain't broke then don't try to fix it !

pritchard said:
I've cut down recently to once a week and seen a difference ( for the worse but could be coincidence ) in some of my zoas ! Granted I can't test for it but 1 pipett drop in a 105 gallon system isn't going to overdose ! I've only lost a torch coral in the last 3 years and that was when I upgraded to a larger tank ! 1 drop a day has worked as far as I can see and although I can't explain the physics behind it I believe if it ain't broke then don't try to fix it !

I ran a soft coral only tank for around 15 years and had the same results using Logoul's solution. Leathers, mushrooms, zoas, xenia, etc, all did better with weekly iodine additions than without it. BUT, I only did monthly water changes with normal Instant Ocean, which may have meant that it was more likely to be depleted (also added trace elements). I did skip the dose the week of the PWC. I think that, had I been doing PWCs every week, the iodine could've been detrimental.

My belief is that with frequent water changes and reef specific salts iodine isn't needed and could possibly make things dicy. In my case, it was simply used to replenish the elements during the month long wait. I also never tested and simply used the corals as my guide. I also only ever used half doses of all iodine and trace mineral. Still, it worked out fine for the entire life of the reef tank. I know this is very anecdotal but I thought it could be relevant. Best of luck.

Yeh I'm more inclined to go down the 10% pwc weekly I use tropic Marin pro-reef salt and all trace elements should be replenished during these pwc,s ! The more I spend on this fantastic hobby the more research (paranoia) lol I tend to do ! Thanks for the info !

Back
Top Bottom