Keeping pond water clean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So how do you keep nitrates from getting to toxic levels in pond water without doing water changes?

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A pond filter. A Rubbermaid horse trough with a grate in the bottom and lava rock as filter media works well. I used a filter like that on a 4000 gal. Koi pond I had until I moved on to better filtering

Just do a Google search LAVA ROCK POND FILTER . You'll need a submersible pond pump, the lava rock isn't much per bag. I was buying The Rubbermaid water troughs on sale for $75 for a 100 gal. The filter size is determined on pond size.

A pond filter will deal with ammonia and nitrites, but I'm not sure how it will affect nitrate levels.
You could simply feed less food, reduce the pond's population, or both. Plants will also consume nitrite.

I use lava rock in my DIY 2lb coffee can filters i the kiddie pools and 150 vats. They work well, but I also change about 2" of water daily. Just a clue, a 10% water change without dechlor is fine.

So how do you keep nitrates from getting to toxic levels in pond water without doing water changes?

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Nitrate toxicity is exaggerated to no end on here as well as the requirement for water changes. Any pond will benefit from plants, but generally you don't need to do anything. The amount of biological activity in a pond will take care of the extra nutrients.

No water changes, don't over feed, don't over stock. Make your filter larger than required. Your pump should turn over the pond at least once per hour, but 1.5 is ideal with 2 being the upper end. You don't need the same gph/gal ratio of a goldfish aquarium.

Ponds are NOT aquariums and do NOT have to be treated as such.

lilly pads, bullrushes.
any plant which the leaves are above the surface will get you max CO2 ,due to being able to get it direct from the air.
the pond will already be @ max oxygen content due to wind & surface ripples.
plants consume ammonia 1st,that will give BB a break for they wont have to convert as much.
End result is when plants get established the ammonia will be consumed as its made & the nitrates will lower when there is lower ammonia volume to convert.

Back
Top Bottom