Keeping the population under control...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jantaris

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there...
We have a 20 gallon live bearer tank which is at full(est!!! and then some!!!) capacity with 12 fish (mollies, platy, tetra) and THEN a good dozen fry, and are switching some of these fish out TODAY to another tank, and making some choices to lessen the fry load (i.e. breaking up the "party" and maybe trading in some of our males). I know angels are good for fry pop'n control but not a big marble like we have. Are there other suitable fish that would keep the pop'n down? Are there smaller variety angels that would do well in a 20g? I'm also thinking dwarf gourami??? Thanks... :fish2:

If I were you (and you have a local lfs) I would try to sell the extra live bearers, but IMO, you could get dwarf gourami's. I've never kept gourami's but I heard they like being in groups of atleast 2 or more. Depending on how many fish you keep (molly, platy, tetra) you can probably get 2 dwarf gourami's. But if you plan on keeping most of the adults, I wouldn't suggest it. I think you'd be overstocked. If not, youd have to clean out the tank very often, and might have issues. IMO anyway, anyone can correct me if im wrong.

Are you planning on keeping the first list of 12 fish (mollies, platy, tetra)?

I agree with you.
As far as keeping the first twelve, we likely will but will have to re-home between our own tanks. There are a couple of them I think we may try to trade in. And, yes, selling or trading in the fry is a great idea. Four of them are going to a friend so, assuming all eight more survive, we *may* keep one or two and trade in the others.
I have heard mixed reviews on keeping more than one DG in one tank...

I have never kept Dwarf Gourami's but I have done some research because ive thought, if I ever have an open tank in the future I want some. So what ive come to find, is they do better in groups of 3 or more. 2 is better then 1. So if you can open up your tank enough, a couple dwarf gourami's can work for sure. Well IMO

I have never kept Dwarf Gourami's but I have done some research because ive thought, if I ever have an open tank in the future I want some. So what ive come to find, is they do better in groups of 3 or more. 2 is better then 1. So if you can open up your tank enough, a couple dwarf gourami's can work for sure. Well IMO

Males are extremely aggressive to eachother. Wouldn't keep 1 in a 20.

Ahhh... Hi Sillyfishies. I think you spoke to me about gouramis in another post, as well, when I was discussing my 30. We've decided to go with a pearl for the 30, so thanks for that advice. I was hen thinking a DG for the 20, bu you'd suggest against it, huh?
Anything you'd suggest for our needs with this 20? It may just simply come down to us taking action with separating/trading in some of the fish, etc and, as suggested above, opening up some more room. The livebearers are quite pretty but I think we have to re-think and perhaps just do all girls to cut back on the pop'n problem and to avoid the male aggression.
In other news, I can't seem to get the "Quote message in reply" box to work for me here on Chrome...

Weird... my post just disappeared. I shall try again.
Just wanted to say hat I paid att'n to what you said about gouramis on my other post, Sillyfishies. We're going with the pearl for our 30.
But a DG is not good for a 20, huh? Any thing else you'd suggest for our needs? We like the livebearers but it may just come down to us taking action and moving/trading in some of the fish and going to all an female tank to avoid this in future. Or, then we'd be opening up for alternative stocking, as suggested above...

Ahhh... Hi Sillyfishies. I think you spoke to me about gouramis in another post, as well, when I was discussing my 30. We've decided to go with a pearl for the 30, so thanks for that advice. I was hen thinking a DG for the 20, bu you'd suggest against it, huh?
Anything you'd suggest for our needs with this 20? It may just simply come down to us taking action with separating/trading in some of the fish, etc and, as suggested above, opening up some more room. The livebearers are quite pretty but I think we have to re-think and perhaps just do all girls to cut back on the pop'n problem and to avoid the male aggression.
In other news, I can't seem to get the "Quote message in reply" box to work for me here on Chrome...

I use the mobile app so can't help out on that one. Regarding the pearl, I think it'd be fine to get a pair of them.
For the 20, I'd get one DG, but definitely trade out some of the babies, and some of your adults as well.

Two Pearl---m/f pair, then, yes (if I can find the f in my local)? And then one DG for the 20.
Thanks, all, for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom