kelsey's 40 gallon seahorse tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

0o.Kelsey.o0

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i've always wanted a seahorse tank. I bought my original 28 gallon nano for seahorses. My first two took forever to come in and both died a couple days after bringing them home. The whole batch actually died so i got a refund since there was something wrong with all of them. After that i bought fish for the tank still hoping to get seahorses...well once some new ones finally came in i had my tank full of fish..therefore needing a new tank. I purchased two seahorses (Hippocampus barbouri) for $100 each and left them on hold.

i got this tank for $100 which came with the matching stand...the stand however was completely closed in and would not fit a sump.
1.jpg
My dad built this stand for me. We used leftover pine and i bought and put the tile on...i dont like how the tile doesnt match the stain of the wood but im stuck with that now. I will also be putting doors on the front to cover up the sump.
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
i have more to add just had to separate my posts since it only allows me four photos at a time :p

last photo of stand build
5.jpg
[FONT=&quot]The sump was suppose to be a 10 gallon tank but my skimmer would not fit...the next size up i have laying around is a 20 gallon but this was much too tall to do any work. i settled for this tub we had...it originally had a separator but the silicone would not stick to the tub and it was removed.[/FONT]
6.jpg
[FONT=&quot]My skimmer is a vertex 100 gallon. While all of this was being set up i went ahead and bought some live rock to begin its cycle and by the time i had the tank and stand set up in my room the rock cycle was finished. i placed the rock in and waited another week to be absolutely sure. [/FONT]
8.jpg
9.jpg

[FONT=&quot]I then went ahead and bought a porcelain crab and feather duster.
[/FONT]10.jpg
11.jpg
[FONT=&quot]They did well so i got the small suntail goby.
[/FONT]12.jpg
[FONT=&quot]I waited about another week and brought home my first pair of seahorses...i also bought a second pair (on hold) since they have been doing so well in the store. My first pair are doing great and eating well...i hope to bring my second pair home soon!
[/FONT]13.jpg
[FONT=&quot]First introduction to tank
[/FONT]

14.jpg
15.jpg
Also this is what i had in mind for lights
7.jpg
Any feedback and advice would be welcome :) Also i got some free grape algae with the seahorses but i also purchased some fake plants so they would have more to hold onto until more grows. I do not think fake plants will hurt but if anyone could confirm this then great!

Wow, great job. I posted my photos that I took at the Birch Aquarium last December. There's quite a few shots of their seahorse tanks you may want to look at.

thanks! where do you have those pictures posted? I'd look but i cant find them haha

Also a little more on the light, here is a link for some info...its just a random site i wont be ordering off of it.. or if you google coralife 20" 96 watt you can find it
Coralife Aqualight - 20" Coralife Aqualight Quad, 96 Watt Power Compact Lighting, Saltwater Reef Aquarium
I`d like to get some low light corals like mushrooms and zoos so i`d like to know if this is an okay light. Also i want some branchy ones for the seahorses so if anyone knows of any nice lower light ones let me know!

I would get metal halides but i believe they are too bright. My last seahorses seemed to hate the light when i put them in my nano which has MH....and i think i also once read it somewhere while researching..but i cant find where now :s anyone know about that?

Thanks!
Kelsey

thanks guys! and your pictures are great cmor1701d! I think i am going to my LFS tomorrow so i might get some snails or something small for CUC...im debating bringing home the other two seahorses but i think i might just wait a little longer...just to be safe

I just love what you did with that tank and stand. Sea horses are so neat. I will be following this thread to see how you progress. I wish you all the luck. Just remember as with all SW, slow and easy wins the race.

Thanks. That light should be fine. It has a single 96w 50/50 bulb so low light corals wil be fine.

The platic plants are fine, but need to be removed and cleaned regulary. As the tank matures you may be able to get some real plants in there.

haha thanks but it was definitely all my dad except for the tiling (though he also helped with cutting those too). ill probably get the doors (also made by dad) stained soon and get them on..ill take another picture when i do

Okay cool ill get the lights ordered right away then..not too much at the store today..wanted to get a couple hermit crabs but they had none in. My seahorses they are holding still look really good, ill bring them home soon. Also i named my darker male seabiscuit :) ... the rest are still unnamed haha

Okay so quick update everything is still doing fine. Haven't brought home the other two seahorses yet since ive been busy studying for finals.

Okay so now question, what kinds of glue are safe for the tank? I would like to make a feeding dish and glue a magnet (covered in fabric so it won't scratch) to a shell. I know that most super glues are safe, but i am not sure if super glue will stick to the shell/magnet very well. I was just wondering if there are any other safe glues?

IMG_1081.jpg

This is the shell i will be using. Thanks!

I know it is thinking outside the box, and honestly have NO idea if it would work, but how about silicone?

Back
Top Bottom