kenyi sexing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-man02

Aquarium Advice Freak
ive read on some websites that male kenyi will have a yellowish to them and female will have a dark blue. i want to make sure this is either true or not true.
thank you in advance

True. Juvenile Kenyi are bluish whether they are male or female. But once they mature, males change to a yellow while females remain blue.

great that makes it easier to pick and chose rather than venting.
thanks again

Yes if you see a yellow Kenyi you know it's a male. If its blue it's either a female or a juvenile. A few people here thought Rey had a female Kenyi (blue) but the saw it change to yellow.

great the kenyi i have now is like a mix between those two so do i have like a 'teenage' male?

is it possible to keep some vertical dark lines like the female in the picture you posted? sorry if these are stupid questions i just want to know what i will be dealing with.

my kenyi was blue when i bought him, he was about 1 1/2", and now hes about 2" and he is allmost fully yellow and has egg spots. i thought i had a female lol. its funny how u said sexting lol :)

But!...if the male isn't the dominant fish (like mine isn't) it might stay blue-ish (like mine)

Just thought I'd throw that in the mix.

As juveniles, both sexes will be a bright blue with barring. As they mature, males transition from blue, to a golden yellow, with barring becoming very faint at most times. Females will stay blue.Often only the dominant male will change, and subdominant males can retain female colouring to prevent a beating from the king. Also holding females will take on dominate male coloration and defend a territory of their own.

gman42 said:
my kenyi was blue when i bought him, he was about 1 1/2", and now hes about 2" and he is allmost fully yellow and has egg spots. i thought i had a female lol. its funny how u said sexting lol :)

Yea I had to go and screw it up lol.

Some people say juvie females have much darker coloring than males but I wouldn't use that as a way to sex cause I have a male that is almost completely yellow but used to be the blue-est in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom