keyholes and golden barbs in a 22 gal long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharle66

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone.
I am new to this forum but not new to online fish forums.

I was wondering whether the community could be of assistance to me. I currently have a 22 gallon tank with 6 schuberti barbs. I was wondering whether it would be ok to add a keyhole cichlid to this aquarium. The barbs are full bodied at around 3 inches, ravenous eaters and i know that keyholes have a reputation of being shy and timid at times, but i have also heard that they can be aided by having schooling fish around them, as this may help them to feel secure in their surroundings. All comments would be kindly recieved.

Regards.
Sharle

Keyholes are actually the opposite from my experience, always front and center. However, they are EXTREMELY peaceful and very susceptible to being bullied by other fish, or having their fins nipped.

With that being said, I'm not familiar with your species of barb, so I'm not able to comment on their nature.

Schooling fish, also called dither fish in this situation, do help them feel much more safe and free to move around and explore.

I also try to never buy a single keyhole., always a pair. These cichlids are monogamous and do get lonely and depressed when not with their mate. It also brings out a lot of their natural behaviors. All 4 of my pairs follow each other around the tank.

Thank you very much for the quick responses. To clarify the schuberti bqrbs are a colour strain of golden barbs. Is 6" the normal size of say 2 females?

Keyholes typically max out around 4", not 6"...a 22 would work fine, depending on the other inhabitants, and the footprint of the tank. What's the full stock list, and what are the dimensions of the tank?

The dimensions of the tank and other inhabitants will really be the deciding factor here. I have gold barbs myself and they are pretty rowdy.. :lol:

That is more than enough room for a single pair

These are great cichlids, absolutely love them, I have 8 between 3 different tanks

Thanks for the advice guys. According to aquadvisor, the tank is closer to 28 US gal, as opposed to the 22 gal that i suggested earlier. I am sorry for the initial confusion.

Thank you for the help. You have swung me towards them. My lfs has them in stock and i may pop to get a pair tomorrow. They only have young keyholes but it will be great for the two of tjem to grow together. The tank has two large peices of natural bogward, a large ornamental ship and artificial plants for them to shelter in whilst they settle in (or want some peace from the barbs)

And for the record, mine are in with serpae tetras and I have no issues, they're known to be nippy. As long as the group is decent sized (5+), you should be ok

Got a pair yesterday. They are at about 1" in length at the moment so they are currently very small. They seem to find the barbs facinating. They keeo together and i am hoping that they eventually pair off. They have eaten the bloodworms, algae waffers and flake that i have offered so far. Even beating the barbs to the chase. Photos to follow. Very pleased with them thus far.

Back
Top Bottom