Khuligirl's planted 20 long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The brief time I owned a Fluval 206, the instructions were adamant about running the shortest length of tubing possible to maximize flow.
OP reported that flow in the tank is sufficient.
I'm on the fence on doing inline versus a reactor. Both do a good job with CO2 diffusion. The former should not impact flow but a mist could be produced. The latter should have no mist but may reduce flow.

That makes sense about the least resistance. But I actually left them the original length on purpose, because my housing situation is temporary, and I don't want to have limited placement options in a new location because I cut a hose too short.

That makes sense about the least resistance. But I actually left them the original length on purpose, because my housing situation is temporary, and I don't want to have limited placement options in a new location because I cut a hose too short.

I don't blame you on leaving the hosing intact. You can always add a nano powerhead for additional flow in the tank.

That's true. I feel like the flow is more than sufficient right now though, and when I move to a permanent location I will definitely shorten the tubing.

I'm considering tearing out the hydrocotle. It seems to just be a tangle of stems and it grows way too fast to contain, and traps debris and algae inside it :( I do love the leaf shape though.

Take it out! Many other specimens to try.
Four leaf clover might work.
I would suggest Glosso but it can grow and spread uber fast. I took it out of my tank and now it's growing in a terrarium.
Dwarf hair grass might be an option.

Hmm I like those ideas. I did originally plan on DHG but I just haven't happened upon it yet.

You think it would take root before my 12 kuhli loaches uproot it looking for morsels of food that get trapped in it?

You think it would take root before my 12 kuhli loaches uproot it looking for morsels of food that get trapped in it?

Most likely not. I had trouble keeping it down with the MTS rough housing.
More recently, I have had luck securing it to small pieces of stainless steel squares using fishing line.

Anyone familiar with this brand or type of inline atomizer?
http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q381/bnz0429/7B178B4B-348B-4EF2-8967-2107ADBF7B67_zpsawojgsmi.png
And is it true that atomizers need 30+ psi to function properly? It appears that my working pressure is right about at 30psi
Is it better to place them on the intake tube or the outflow tube?

I have not seen that atomizer before.
I've heard the same about a minimum of 30 psi with atomizers. I am looking at reactors since you inject whole bubbles at a much lower pressure.
I would say directing the mist into the intake for maximum absorption, but with almost all canisters, it is recommended that the intake be clear of any air (such as air stones). I do wonder if the smaller bubbles are less of a problem for the canister.

I wondered that as well. It does seem like going into the intake would provide much more contact time. But I also read that it will clog faster because dirty water as opposed to freshly filtered water is going through it.

Side note: don't do h2o2 dips on AR mini...

What do you mean you been going about it all wrong? What you gonna do with the plants you pull out?

Otos are a nice addition to an established tank. I would not call the miracle workers. I can say that I've see amano shrimp eating algae but there if not much algae in my tank (aside from BBA).
The lower leaves on AR mini often become discolored and are algae magnets. Best to snip them off. I have more, in case you need any.

I was joking because I thought it was a funny thing for the website to say. It's the exact opposite of what we try to teach people- don't use algae eating or scavenger fish to clean your tank for you, find the source of the problem.

Yes I do plan on getting ottos once my tank becomes more established and my algae issue evens out.

The lower leaves on AR mini often become discolored and are algae magnets. Best to snip them off. I have more, in case you need any.

Thanks fresh, I'll keep that in mind. I seem to have plenty right now, they just turned yellow after a brief 50% h2o2 dip.

I'm planning on visiting some LFSs today to try to find some dwarf hair grass:) I tore out the hydrocotle because it was just a big tangled mess covered in algae, so now I have a nice bare area for something new.

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q381/bnz0429/A1A32088-96ED-4314-B23C-76BEDC262A90_zpsmhelaf4a.jpg
So... I did a thing.
I'm sad that now it looks so generic, like anyone's 20 long. But I'm so fed up with this algae and that wood was an algae magnet. I'm desperate to try anything. And the areas to plant things that needed strong light were very limited.
Now the light is even throughout the tank, but the flow is so strong that it pushes my stem plants sideways :/ I feel like I can't win. More CO2- fish gasp for breath. Stronger flow- plants can't stand up straight and fish struggle to swim against current. Add excel- all inverts die. Just seems like everything that should be a solution just causes some other problem :(
My CO2 is on higher than it's ever been right now. Tank is full of bubbles and fish are gasping for breath at the end of the photoperiod, but yet algae still thrives. I'm also double dosing excel daily before the lights turn on. I don't understand. I know there are tanks with higher light than this. I just ordered an inline atomizer, so maybe that will help get better absorption.

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q381/bnz0429/A1A32088-96ED-4314-B23C-76BEDC262A90_zpsmhelaf4a.jpg
So... I did a thing.
I'm sad that now it looks so generic, like anyone's 20 long. But I'm so fed up with this algae and that wood was an algae magnet. I'm desperate to try anything. And the areas to plant things that needed strong light were very limited.
Now the light is even throughout the tank, but the flow is so strong that it pushes my stem plants sideways :/ I feel like I can't win. More CO2- fish gasp for breath. Stronger flow- plants can't stand up straight and fish struggle to swim against current. Add excel- all inverts die. Just seems like everything that should be a solution just causes some other problem :(
My CO2 is on higher than it's ever been right now. Tank is full of bubbles and fish are gasping for breath at the end of the photoperiod, but yet algae still thrives. I'm also double dosing excel daily before the lights turn on. I don't understand. I know there are tanks with higher light than this. I just ordered an inline atomizer, so maybe that will help get better absorption.

What type of algae and how long is your photoperiod?
What ferts are u dosing? EI?

I'm doing pps pro, but about 1.5x recommended dose for macros (3ml) and I mixed it a bit stronger on the phosphate. Haven't tested in a couple weeks so I'll try to do that tomorrow when I get home from work.
Photoperiod is about 7 hours.

Green hair algae and that brown cottony spider-webby like algae mostly. But also black beard and stag horn in a few places. Also still diatoms. So a pretty nice cocktail.

Back
Top Bottom