Kiddie Pool and Stock Tank Ponds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henningc

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, no gold fish or natives, all tropicals here in the midwest during summer. I started this crazy project, a reenactment of a project 30 years ago, during the month of May. I have two stock tanks and two kiddie pools and decided I would like to raise some tropicals. I decided I would breed Endlers, Least Killies, marble crayfish and grow out some Jacks.

Vat #1-150gal-This vat was stocked with 8 female Endlers and 2 males, 4 female Least Killies and 2 males and two marble crayfish. Now 2 1/2 months later have around 60 fish in the vat of all sizes. It is 3.5' deep and the bottom is covered with PVC sections. I have found no baby crayfish, but that could be them hiding. I would say the fry are 40 Endlers, 20 Least Killies.

Pool-#1 is 260gal 10' x 10'. ($17.00) I stocked in 12 pre-hit female adult Endlers, 2 males, 4-6 pre-hit female Least Killies and 2 males. I also stocked 2 marble crayfish. Today, I have roughly 100-125 fish with Endlers out number Least Killie fry close to 2-1 ratio. I have PVC sections covering 1/4 the bottom and have seen the adult crayfish but no babies.

After the pool was set up about a week I heard this God awful loud frog singing at night. It turns out it is a Barking Tree Frog and they are LOUD. Within a week, there were multiple frogs all singing every night. The next thing I observe are hundreds of little black tadpoles. Besides my wife's homisidal looks while the frogs screatch away I wondered if this will create a problem for the fish. I thinned them out tossing some in vat #1 and vat #2. I also brought some, 20-25, inside and put them in tanks. I figured the entire tree frog thing had run it's course after that. Nope! As it turns out they are not harmful to the fish, although no one body of water has too many.

Vat #2 and Pool-#2 were both set up and within a weeks worth of cycling I had water issues in both caused by our well water. Both had to be drained and restarted.

Restarted Vat-#2 -175gal-and added a few pre-hit female Endlers to start a little food chain for my 3 1/2" Jacks. Funny thing is the frogs just kept singing every night. A week passed and I noticed something going on in the vat. Upon further inspection I discovered that there are hundreds of tadpoles. I let them stay there for another week and they did not grow all that fast. I decided to feed a few to the Jacks inside to make sure it would be Ok. They loved them and no ill effects. I started feeding my Jacks and Fire Mouths about 20 per tank each day. I also tossed some more in tanks and in Pool-#2 as it cycled. As it turned out, I got my hands on another type of fish that could eat them, so I was going through 40-60 per day. This lasted for over two weeks. I finally removed a bunch to feed inside fish and tossed the Jacks into the vat. Within a day or so zero tads left in vat. Funny thing is the frogs just kept singing night after night. As of today, my Jacks are still whimped out hiding in rock formations. Might Jacks right?????

The weather got really hot in the high 90s and the frogs abruptly stop singing. I thought Ok theyre done, nope!

By this time it is later June so I stocked Pool-#2 with 5 pre-hit female Endlers, 2 males, 4 Least Killies females, 3 males and two marble crayfish. This pool is 110"L X 72"WX18"D. The pool has a white bottom and due to size I've been using it to harvest mosquito larva for the inside fish. All the fish in the pool are fat due to stuffing themselves sensless with mosquito lava. There are now about 20 Endlers fry and 12-14 Least Killie fry. Again, no baby crayfish to report.

On a side note, the frogs came back after the heatwave and spawned again. I harvested about 95% of the tadpoles and used them as feeders. A second heatwave has started and it seemed to trigger the tads to morph into froglets. I have counted 50-60 froglets that have come from all bodies of water. I was looking at my inside tanks and realized most of the tads were missing. Bad day for me, I had to track down froglets. Being tree frogs they can walk up walls and cielings. I think I found all at least that is my story and released them.

I'll update this weekly. Next year I'll do swords, plays and mollys. I may also super stock one pool full of Endlers and Least Killies and toss in a few Belonasox mid summer. I'm thinking the frogs will be back next year as we helped the population grow big time.

If you don't want the tadpoles you can give them to an Lfs since some people use them as feeders. Goldfish breeders don't like frogs since they can suffocate fish during mating

If you don't want the tadpoles you can give them to an Lfs since some people use them as feeders. Goldfish breeders don't like frogs since they can suffocate fish during mating

The frogs in Hawaii must be huge to pose any risk to an adult goldfish. I welcome my frogs as they spawn pretty much weekly and the eggs and tiny tadpoles provide an ample source of protein-rich nutrition for both fry and adults.

Here in Hawaii the only frogs we dislike are the green poison arrow frogs and the coqui frogs. Certain frog species mate by grasping their partner's face. Occassionally, goldfish are mistaken or frogs and since the embrace lasts for several hours, it's usually fatal.

During the cooler months, I plan to bring the fish indoors. I'll likely sell some and give some to people who can't afford to buy them. I will also use some as feeders for my cichlids and Belonasox.

Next year I'll go with a more marketable crop such as swords, plays and mollys. I communicated with a guy who raises cory cats in kiddie pools, so I may give it a try as well. I also plan to be in a better state of readiness and start one pool with 30-35 pre-hit Endlers. I'll then spawn my Belonasox and toss in 25 fry. That should get them to adult size by the end of the summer.

I would encourage anyone who has the space and time to give this a try. It has been an easy project and fun as well. I will journal this through the end of pool season.

I've always thought about doing this! But unfortunately the only part of my property that's flat enough for a pool is the front yard, and since I don't live in the country, that'd be kind of an eyesore to my neighbors.
Hopefully I'll be able to do it one day though! Definitely following along.

Are you doing w/c's on these, or just letting nature take it's course with the rain and Evap taking care of it for you?

Ok, that is why God gave man the garage for the kiddie pool.

As for maintenance, I have done a few water changes with a slow siphon, airline tube. I leave them set up in case of rain. I have only had to open the siphons twice when it rained. The first time we got over 3" in 2 hours. I got a head start and noting got out. The second time I got worried and likely could have let it go. I'm using two 120gal listed sponge filters in each vat or pool. I figured out how to rig a power filter up, but water clarity is not a big deal, raw production is what I am concerned with this year. The fish and wildlife seem to love the idea. The fish are breeding like crazy and they are ignoring the fry. I get a lot of mosqueto larva and the fish go ape over them. I likely would not have to feed them, but us aquarium types are obsessed with feeding the fish!

Last night I discovered a pair of Leapord frogs in one of the pools. Here we go again with tadpoles! The tree frogs have been silent the last few nights, no clue why unless they played with the Jacks once too often.

If you don't mind me asking, where in the Midwest are you? I'm in Omaha Nebraska and it's forecasted to get chilly the next 2 nights.

I'm in St. Louis and it is chilly here as well. My cotainers are deep enough that the water temp stays somewhat stable. I do have a 200W heater next to the air source in each container. I have used the heaters three times, but I have also discovered the fish seem to be much more resiliant to ich. If I have an issue, I'll post it immediatly.

On a side note, I spoke too soon about the tree frongs, they're back!

Following this thread now. My mom did something similar only she had goldfish and zebra danios. Her pools are so full of plants though that its very hard to find the fish! I have a plan for overwintering everything in 55g tanks in the basement. Not sure she thought about that part when she set this stuff up. ;)

Sorry, I fell behind in reporting. I am in St. Louis MO. You can use a clay flower pot to put a submersable heater in and run the air souce next to it for circulation.

Just like the rest of the mid-west we are getting cool temps when it should be hotter than, you get the idea. The fish have all done well.

Vat #1 The Least Killies are catching up to the Endlers. Their breeding ahs continued, the Endlers slowed due to temp. There are a least 50-75 fry of each. Still no crayfish babys.

Pool #1 Like vat 1, the Least killies are catching up. Likely 50-75 and approximately 150 Endlers. No crayfish yet. Now here is the ongoing odd part. The tree frogs left came back for one noght and filled the pool with eggs. The Leapord frog are breeding like crazy so I am skimming tadpoles for my cichlids. My bigger fish seem to be getting sick of eating them. They are healthy but feeder fish are their thing.

Vat #2 The jacks are still hiding and eat pellets and everything that gets in the water. Trick, turn on a light at night and it is bug buffet.

Pool #2 Likey 35 Least Killies and Endlers. Crayfish doing fine, no baabys.

I'm out of town until the 24th, but I'll try to report from information from the fish caretaker. None the less this has been a cool project and I'll do it again next year.

As far as feeding goes, I feed one good pinch twice a day of Pet Solution fish food. The fish and other creatures in the containers are growing quikly with or without it. I don't use cheap food for tanks.

As for frogs / tadpoles, I should have more the first week in Sept. I'll take $5-$10 for q bunch of either-10-20.

UPDATE:

Sorry lost track of this forum for a while! Well I am going to end my project a few weeks early due to weather. Next weekend will be harvest week if the waehter doesn't turn around drastically.

Vat #1
Vat #1 the fish are growing more than breeding. They bread quickly for a few weeks and now number 125 2/3 Endlers 1/3 Least Killies and I have yet to find baby crayfish.

Pool #1
The fish really grew since my last report. Endlers 160-170 Least Killies 70. Again no baby crays to report. The invasion of Leapord Frogs continues, but still no eggs or tadpoles.

Vat #2
Still too green to see anything. The Gambusia are reporducing quickly, but I have not seen the Jacks in weeks.

Pool #2
Again a population explosion, 100-125 2/3 Least Killies 1/3 Endlers and zero crays! There was a little hair algea growing, but with temps around 100 for almost a week the stuff exploded and is now really thick. Going to make harvest difficult for sure.

I have set up tanks indoors for the fish, but some will need to go. My Endlers I kept indoors seemed to benefit from thinning out the shoal and that is limiting my space. If you are anywhere near St. Louis than let me know if you would like some of these fish. I have not done the Aquabid thing yet and really would like to avoid it. There will be some nice Orchard, Black Bar and Flame Endlers available.

Hey there, I've been following this and am puzzled at the lack of crawfish... What do you think was the reasoning behind the low numbers? Any theories?

Crayfish or lack of crayfish

Well honestly I don't know. The water chemistry is fine and I even added more calcium. All of the vats and pools get drained this weekend and I am still holding out hope I will find some small crayfish. I'll let you know when I post up Sunday or Monday. Like you, now I have to find an answer.

Back
Top Bottom