Kids a fish dont mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cash Turtle

Aquarium Advice Regular
I came home from work the other day to find my moms 2 rosy minnows in a glass bowl on the counter. my first thought is that their aqurium broke
I was wrong my 4 year old cousin was over for the weekend and my sister let him feed the fish and thought he'd listen wehn she said "ok thats enough"

he dumped the whole can of food into the tank and it was granules so it sank were it was hard to remove, the tank smelt like catfood :tongue:
and was colored pink

I ended up putting the minnows back in with my guppies and stripping down the tank they were in.

Ouch. You would have thought she would have doled it for him and watched him while he was feeding the fish.

i.e. cheese? Our 5 year old was enjoying the cheese snack she had yesterday and thought the fish might enjoy some too. We got most of it out, but I'm sure our little finned friends managed a nibble or 2 that we missed... heh... gotta love the kids ;)

Same thing happened to a friend's FOWLR....he was away, and his wife was having a yard sale when his daughter decided to feed the tank and dumped an entire, full, coffee-tin sized tin of marine flakes into the tank.....my friend's wife called me in a panic....it was messy, but somehow, we mahaged to salvage things over the course of the weekend.

Once I taught my kids how to feed their fish, and observed for a week or so, they've both been fantastic with their tanks. But kids who haven't been taught "fish etiquette" really do have to be watched, because water is fun!

I remember when i was little...i would alway try to pet my goldfish :oops: thats probably why my parents ended up putting them on a bookshelf where i could only seem them and not touch them lol. I think i was the only 5 y/o girl who wanted to pet fish lol. Its a good thing i have moved on from that stage in my life. :mrgreen:

my 3 year old son loves to feed our fish! i just put a little food in his hand and let hom throw it in. he doesn't really know thathe's not really feeding them the right amount. and he can't reach the food by himself (or the test kits for that matter ;)). i also let him feed our dog--but i had to watch him very carefully--cuz he was VERY generous with the portions for a while! i think it's great to get kids involved in our hobbies and to teach them them about responsibility--especially for other live animals. i think it really helps them develop empathy if they care for the animals' needs.

I used to let my nieces and nephews hand feed Oscar, but now that he's almost 7½" he could probably take a finger off. lol None of my nieces and nephews feed the fish at all anymore... They love watching them though, and they have their own at home now. I'm sure they'll want to feed my satlwater fish once I set up my SW aquarium...

Baaaaaddddd Kid! I'm happy to hear that the fish were ok

Can't blame the kids just because someone wasn't watching them.
They don't know any better.

i also let him feed our dog--but i had to watch him very carefully--

i think it's great to get kids involved in our hobbies and to teach them them about responsibility--especially for other live animals. i think it really helps them develop empathy if they care for the animals' needs.

Both Quotes, very well said IMHO

Matt.

Back
Top Bottom