killer female betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShellBeaumont

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've just found one of my male guppies mutilated and the other one is missing (probably eaten), would my female betta do this?!
I'm beginning to wonder if she is actually a female. She was sold to me as a female but her fins are longer and fancier than all other females I've seen and she is also more colourful. I haven't tried the "flaring" technique, is this the only way to sex bettas?

I also found my borneo sucker yesterday with his guts hanging out :( I suspect she did this aswell

I also found my borneo sucker yesterday with his guts hanging out :( I suspect she did this aswell

Do u got a pic of her what else is in your tank
I had guppies with my female and I had to take them back bc they almost killed her

ForumRunner_20130821_134549.jpg

ForumRunner_20130821_134558.jpg

These are the best photos I could get of her!
Other tank mates are:
4 mollies
2 melini cory
2 peppered cory
1 Julii cory
1 bristlenose pleco

These are the best photos I could get of her!
Other tank mates are:
4 mollies
2 melini cory
2 peppered cory
1 Julii cory
1 bristlenose pleco

That's a rally tuff one when u got it was it in a tank with more bettas or by its self. To me it looks like a younger male

image-3638406407.jpg

Here's my female and my male( in diff tanks of course)

Attachments

• image-1813185692.jpg
    image-1813185692.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 100
It was in a tank with loads of others, all labelled as female. I chose her because she was the prettiest!

It was in a tank with loads of others, all labelled as female. I chose her because she was the prettiest!

I know at my lfs I have gone in an seen a male get in with the females from the tank next to it maybe try taking it put him in a smaller tank and see if any of your other fish die

It could be female.. lots of them are getting very nice colour to them now, just not the very long fins that males can have. Plakats have shorter fins both male and female, at least I think that's the name for the shorter fin ones and I suppose it might be a male Plakat, but it also looks to have quite a rounded belly, which is seen in the female.

In any case, Betta fish, of either sex, can be very aggressive to other fish. Most are not bad, but some ladies can give any of the guys a run for their money. I'd remove her and keep her alone, or you will just keep losing fish.

That looks like a male too me. Here is my male
img_2621413_0_5f508f23dfccfaa3967aeff74d1b73a9.jpg

I'm now fairly certain that "she" is a "he".
Here are some more recent photos, the fins seem to grow by the day!!
If anyone can further confirm that this is a male then that would be great!

ForumRunner_20130830_173033.jpg

ForumRunner_20130830_173101.jpg

Nope that's a female! You can see all the eggs! She may just be very violent... crowntails are supposedly more violent than any other type... She is just a long-finned female!

It's either female or very constipated. Looks like a female swollen with eggs to me. Another clue that it is female is the length of the ventral fins. Even short finned males have long ventral fins but females have short ones.

Yeah, it's probably female. On shortfinned males (and shortfin crowntails aren't particularly common) the ventrals usually are longer than the anal fin. On females they are usually about the same length.

Back
Top Bottom