Kinda Urgent help needed please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbowles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Damsel in my tank, actually the only fish i have ever had in there. Anyways he has been acting really wierd lately and i was wondering if i should be concerned. For starters it is urgent for one reason, I have some new critters being delivered tommorow. For 1 he is like flashing the rocks quite a bit, which i have always seen him do here and there but not as much as in last couple days. I have had him in the tank for a little over 2 months and his only tank mates are 2 zebra hermits, 2 dwarf blue hermits, 1 red legged hermit, and 4 turbo snails. The only thing i have added to the tank recently was 11 pounds of live rock over a week ago. It looks like he is missing a few scales from rubbing the rocks and there is no dots or anything on his fins. There is no slimy ich type stuff on him. I have an anemone and 2 x feather dusters coming tommorow , do you think it will be ok to add them? I really have nothing else to do with them since i don't have a quarentine tank. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Start off by posting your water parameters. If you just added some LR I`m thinking the die off from them has an ammonia spike going on. Did you cycle the tank?

I cycled the tank when i first set it up without the LR. The guy at the LFS told me it would be fine to add the LR to the tank as i can afford to. He said since it is pre-cured it should not cause an amonia spike. I checked the Ammonia with my instant ocean test kit and it shows 0.2. The scale with this kit goes from 0 up to 0.8 .

It wasnt all the way cured or you would not have had the small spike. Ammonia at any level is lethal.

ahh so am i in for some trouble? or do you think since it has been a week and only went that high i will be ok?

I would start some PWCs to reduce the ammonia. Make sure you premix your water for at least 24 hours with a ph and heater (to bring up the PWC temp's the same as your tank's).

Why not remove the rock and finish the curing outside the tank? That and a water change may get you back in line. Then you can reintroduce the rock when it's fully cured.

Getting the rock out will eliminate the source

LOL! Tell me about it! Just like my not using a ph to pump water back into my tank (I lugged it up a ladder until one day....)!

Back
Top Bottom