Kitten Proofing my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetsuvvyb

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello All -

I've agreed to take care of an acquaintance's 9 month old kitten while she has some repairs done on her condo.

I live in an itty bitty teeny weenie efficiency apartment, and have resigned myself to the fact that the cat will pretty much be into everything. I know the aquarium is probably going to be a big draw...does anyone have any words of wisdom regarding the peaceful co-existence of all the critters?

I have a 10 gallon tank, the only gaps in the hood are 2 half inch triangles on the front corners (could be easily covered with tape, but i don't think the holes are big enough for curious paws)).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Well..don't think the 1/2 triangles are going to slow it down any for starters, lol. Now I do know someone who trained a cat to stay away from a fish tank with a squirt gun.

I have a squirt bottle that I use to keep my cats away from my tanks. Another thing you could do is go to the craft store or department store and get some craft canvas to put over the holes. This was suggested to me by someone on this forum, and it works great. HTH and Good Luck.

Tiff

My two cats have never bothered my tanks, although one occasionally sits on the 90 and 75 gallons. They otherwise ignore them...

The 20GL fancy mouse 'terrarium' is another matter altogether. They watch that all day long.

The last cat I had around would rather sit and get squirted with water all day long rather than "obey"....and since this is just a temporary cat-sitting situation, I'd rather not open up that whole can of disciplining someone elses pet (probably just as touchy a subject as disciplining other peoples kids!).

I guess i'll have to investigate covering up the holes, and hopefully the lil critter will be more interested in all the other fun breakables in the apartment. Thanks guys!!

My kitten doesn't really mess with my fish. One of my aquariums was built oddly and has two square openings in the top and all my kat does is stick her paw in the water and quickly removes it because it gets wet. Even then when she does it the fish freak out and swim away.

The squirt gun would be in ur best interest if it *does* become a problem. Ask the owner for permission. After a few squirts of water anytime the kitty gets near the tank, the kitty will most likely run anytime you just bring out the water gun, let alone squirt it. I don't see why the owner would have a problem- you aren't beating the cat or anything =o)

Squirt bottles don't work for every cat, I'll squirt mine, it'll run away.. come back in 2 seocnds like nothign ever happened and repeat the process all over again.

I use it to train her that scratching furniture is bad and various other things she shouldn't be doing, I never had a problem with the fishtanks.

She likes to sit infront of them and watch the fish, but nothing else.... it could also be that I have glass hoods on all my tanks and she can't get get into them even if she wanted :D:D :twisted:

we have three siamese cats that have never once bothered the tank. granted, they've never once been outside, mush less been required to hunt for food (unlike our outside cats that bring headless rabbits and chipmunks to our backdoor.) in fact, our lilac point siamese sits on the leather ottoman infront of the tank and watches the fish swim around. unless this kitten you're watching spends a lot of time outside (or the parents were mostly outside cats), i wouldn't be all that concerned. it's my experience that house-only cats like to be entertained more than hunt.

I have 3 cats and they don't really bother my tanks. Noah likes to watch them a lot and my Burmese loach is his favorite. He will move along the glass and slap the side of the tank trying to catch him. It doesn't stress the fish too bad though cause they have places to hide. Sophie likes to sit on top of the tank and look through the tiny openings where the filter and air tubing goes into the tank. I don't get that, but whatever. And Russia pretty much doesn't care about the fish at all. I squirt them if they get on top of the tanks because one of the hoods is broken and the lid is very close to snapping in half. Plus, I don't want them scratched up.

Oh fun...a 9 mo old kitten. LOL You may be in for an experience sweets, especially since this lil guy will be claiming new territory. You are going to HAVE to set parameters for it, whether you use a spray bottle (mine thinks its bathing assistance and ignores it otherwise), a tambourine or something loud to shake when it starts doing things you prefer it didn't, or putting double sided sticky tape or aluminum foil on the areas you want it to stay off. Trust me on this one LOL A young cat will find the fish absolutely fascinating.

Other things to keep in mind. Make sure the fish food is behind a door the cat can't open. Apparently they think fish food is for them and find it delicious. If you have tables next to the tanks, put things on it so the cat can't get next to the tank (and then climb on top). Oh! And if you use a Python? Watch the cat carefully; mine thinks the water flowing thru is something to catch n kill, and I keep a close eye on him as I don't want pinholes in the tubing LOL

My guy lurves the ram tank, especially when his daddy acts as a chair for him *grin* see below.

Btw Sati, Russia is beautiful! Although I think Noah and Sophie have better expressions ;)

Alli, good point! I lost 2 bottles of flakes to my stupid cats. Russia can actually open big drawers to get at the fish food too. If he's so smart why can't he do something constructive to help me? :p

Allivymar said:
Make sure the fish food is behind a door the cat can't open. Apparently they think fish food is for them and find it delicious.
my cat find the sinking wafers are irresistable. i've never given one to him, but if he smells them he goes nuts and cries like a baby trying to get me to give him one. and if anybody here has siamese, you know how persistent they can be...

Oh, the wafers... I forgot about those. I lost two packs of algae wafers to the pets. I bought baby latches for the cupboards so they can't get in, lol.

The algea waffers I feed my algea eater comes in a package that is the same shape as my kitty treats, add the smell and she carries the bag around in her mouth like they are hers. Also, she messed with the canisters of food like they are toys, more so than wanting to eat them. She is funny.

It depends on the cat- like someone mentioned if its indoor and doesn't have to "hunt" for food its less likely to bother the tank. But all cats are naturally curious it is bound to at least watch the fish..

Hehe, i like this topic- I know more about cats than I do fish!

I've also got three cats...and have never had any problems with them and my aquarium. Sometimes they'll perch on the arm of the couch nearby and watch intently but mostly they ignore the tank completly.

Well, my roomate had a 6 month old kitten when I initially got the fish, she really didn't care about 'em (she was also the one who would rather sit and get squirted repeatedly than get off the counter). However, my very very first fish (when I was in 2nd grade!) was eaten by my siamese cat, despite our best efforts.

My concern with "discipline" is that this kitten was rescued off the street, after some apparent abuse, and is still in the recovery process....and her "momma" is really super protective of her! My guess is I won't have any problems...I was mostly just curious as to whether y'all's cats were "fish-oriented"...sounds like we've got a mixed bag.

I will certainly let you know what "Molly" thinks of my fat fish, when she arrives tomorrow!

Let the cat fall into the tank... once. It'll stay away :) My roomates cat used to sit on top of his african cichlid tank until the hood decided to dump him - he stays away from it now... heh

Allivymar - you should have tossed an "oh my" onto the end of that picture title :-D

All I can do is second what everyone else has said. When the cats were younger I used to use either a squirt gun or something loud either a can with coins or clapping to disapline them. The two cats only get interested in the tanks when I add new fish and then all they want to do is watch them swim around for a while.
They do seem very keen on the fish flakes they love to smell them.

Take a soda can place a half dozen pennies inside and tape over the top. When you shake it, it makes a noise that NO cat I have ever known would not run away from :) It is a great tool. I have had cats that would start to behave as soon as I reached for the can :)

LOL, I must have just had particularly obstinate cats! We did the noise-maker (can with pennies) before we resorted to squirting...it got a curious, "can i play with it?" response....ah well....there's a reason we don't send cats for obedience training :wink:

Back
Top Bottom