Koi Swordtail Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patterson333

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I just bought a few Koi Swordtails from one of my LFS today, and they really look awesome :D. I got two males and two females (and I think I got a pretty good deal because I got it all for just 12 bucks).

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not they'll breed true? Also, I heard that with Swordtails it's better to have more females than males, but what kinda ratio would you guys recommend? I figured after I put these Swordtails in my main (they're in a QT now) that I might buy another female or two, but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

I have a minimum 1:3 male:female ratio for all my livebearers. Just gives all the females some time to rest... apparently the males don't need it lol. Talk about one-track minds.
I don't know if they will breed true, but four for $12? That sounds pretty darn good to me. I still haven't seen them at any of the lfs I frequent. I've been drooling over these Sanshoku Swordtails... definitely on my Christmas list lol.

Haha yea I'm definitely gonna be buying a few more females. The place I buy them from has amazing prices on everything though. I got 15 Cardinal Tetras there for 10 dollars a few months ago. I think they sell them for so cheap because I'm pretty sure they breed them there (it's a fish farm/store, they have all their fish in concrete bins on a giant plot of land)

Don't think I saw any of those Sanshoku Swordtails there though... They do look really cool. But do you know what it is that makes them so pricey?

I have no idea. They are so pretty though. I hope the price goes down... I might be able to convince myself to buy some if it does lol.

AHH! So the other day I was looking closely at the swordtails, and I noticed something strange on one of the males. He had what looked like a white streak in his tail, I looked at him under a really bright flashlight, and I realized it was an anchor worm :(

So I looked up how to treat it and I read that a salt dip would do the trick, I put him in one for about a half hour but the little sucker wouldn't let go, so I ended up having to remove the anchor worm with tweezers.

That was yesterday afternoon. This morning I looked in the tank and I saw that all the poor swordtails were filled with fungus. What I figured happened is that the hole left by the anchor worm got infected and he served as a spawning ground for the fungal infection that spread to the whole quarantine tank. I know I should've put something in the tank to prevent a secondary infection but for whatever reason it didn't cross my mind at the time and now I feel really guilty about them getting sick.

By this afternoon I lost the male that originally had the anchor worm... But I'm really trying to save the rest of them. I had Rid-Ich + on hand and it says it's good for fungal infections (it's a mixture of malachite green and formaldehyde) so I started treating with that and added about 2 tablespoons of salt (it's a 10 gallon tank, so that's 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons)

Anyways, does anyone know of something else I can do? I really want to save these guys. I want to try to put them in a dip, I did it once before to treat fungus (on a guppy) with moderate success using a piece of a Jungle Fungus Clear Tablet, but I was considering doing a Methylene Blue dip (I don't have it on hand but I can get it very easily, there's a store that has some less than 10 minutes away from my house). Anyone have any experience with a MB dip? Tips?

I know this isn't the place to put posts about unhealthy fish but I figured since I already started a thread on my koi swordtails that I might as well post it here, but if you guys want I'll put it in the unhealthy fish section. And sorry for the really long post..

Oh and btw, I know this is stressed all over the site already but I don't think it can be said enough, this is why it is so important to QUARANTINE your new fish if at all possible! I think I'd be going nuts if I had anchor worm and fungus in my display as opposed to my QT...

I found aquarium salt is great for fungus. I bought a bunch of neon dwarf rainbows that ended up getting fungus and I think one had some kind or parasite or foreign object stuck in her gills. While setting up a hospital tank with some fungus cure and salt, I added some salt to the main tank and a few hours later, you couldn't see any fungus! The fish with something stuck in her gills is also nearly completely healed.

Back
Top Bottom