Koi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arclad

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Koi that I bought and it was rather dark, actually it was pretty black. Because I haven't fed it pellets but rather gold fish flakes it has graduatlly changed from a black to a light orange. I'm rather concerned because I wanted a really black Koi rather than an orange one. So I went to my local nursery and found that they have Koi pellets that were also good for goldfishes. I know it's ok for them to eat it both Koi and Gold Fish but my main concern is will the slightly orange Koi ever return to its original color, black?

Hi arclad. While I'm not 100% certain that this applies to Koi as well as regualr goldfish, my answer would be no.

All goldfish are born black and gradually gain their orange/white/gold coloration as they mature. It likely had nothing at all to do with the food you were feeding it, although it may have helped speed up the process.

No they won't. Koi go through natural color changes the same as goldfish. You would have to do a google search and see if there is a purely black strain of koi you could get.

Welcome to AA!!!!!

Black is the most unstable colour in goldfish and koi. It rarely stays long. The best way to assure the black will stay longer is to properly house it in an outdoor pond. Sunlight will help it stay black.

Back
Top Bottom