Kribensis breeding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jjordan16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone I have a pair of kribensis that either just bred, or are going to very soon! Im worried about my other fish being killed and even possibly the male. Which krib should I remove when spawning occurs and how soon after spawning? An if I remove the female with the pit she spawned in will she still care for them or will she kill them? Or should I just remove the male, and if so would she still kill the other fish?
The other fish in the tank are mbunas but they are new and definitely small enough to be killed!

Sorry about the loooong paragraph lol but please help!

Oh also the mbunas are NOT extremely aggressive like the usual

Hey everyone I have a pair of kribensis that either just bred, or are going to very soon! Im worried about my other fish being killed and even possibly the male. Which krib should I remove when spawning occurs and how soon after spawning? An if I remove the female with the pit she spawned in will she still care for them or will she kill them? Or should I just remove the male, and if so would she still kill the other fish?
The other fish in the tank are mbunas but they are new and definitely small enough to be killed!

Sorry about the loooong paragraph lol but please help!

Truth be told, you take your chances when you have fish breed in a community tank. By nature, the breeding pair will defend their eggs and young to the death (in some cases). Removing the pair once the eggs are laid is unwise as they will not usually go back to the spawn so you would have to artificially hatch out the eggs.
If it were me, I would either put the pair into their own tank prior to spawning or put the other fish into another tank while the fish are on their eggs. This gives all your fish a better chance of surviving ;)

Hope it all works out (y)

Ok thanks! What if I just remove the male? The female probably won't kill the other fish, she would be busy keeping the babies together right?

Ok thanks! What if I just remove the male? The female probably won't kill the other fish, she would be busy keeping the babies together right?

No, the female might get exhausted and die from trying to protect the eggs and/or fry, which was the male's job. If you want a sure thing, do as I suggested in my other post (y)

Andy Sager said:
No, the female might get exhausted and die from trying to protect the eggs and/or fry, which was the male's job. If you want a sure thing, do as I suggested in my other post (y)

Your mbunas will eat the fry, if they get the chance!

Back
Top Bottom