Kribensis spawned! (with NEW pictures)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiffi

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Kribs spawned yesterday. The female is now always sitting in the coconut house and the guy is just swimming somewhere around. How long till they are hatched and I can see them swimming around with their parents?

:multi: :multi: :multi: Yay for you Tiffi. The eggs should hatch in about 48 hours.

Be on guard for one parent to be a bit aggressive towards its mate.

Congrats, I just go another pair recently they do not like there home though :(

congrats,

im hopeing to get some kribs or something similar, so cool.

Can i ask how long it took them to settle in before they spawned. And what else do you keep with them?

Thanks and congrats again. :lol:

Hey Tiffi,

Congrats!! Nothing more exciting then experiencing a spawning!! From the time they spawn, it will take another 3-4 days before they hatch, and from their another 3-4 days before they are free swimming. That is when the mom will take them out and find food for them off.

I would watch your other fish too, cuz dad & mom will be very protective and will hurt if not kill anyone that gets too close.

@FawnN: So Brian said 48hours, you say about double as long. Who is right :wink: ?

@ Heiko, I got the most colorful/best looking male and female of the tank at the lfs. That's the same I did with my German Blue Rams and they already spawned once.
The Kribs started digging in the coconuthouse at the front edge of my tank about 2 days after introduced. They never could figure out what they want at first though. Either the female was shaking and trying to get the male into the cave or the male was digging but the female more interested in searching for food :roll: . Finally their rythym matches this time :mrgreen: .
The tankmates are in my signature.

The female has been gurading the coconut-house for quite a while now and today they are both sitting at the entrance of the house, beathing quite heavily, which I don't understand, cuz everybody else is fine. The male is taking off every now and then, but not to hunt anybody. The female is always looking out of the entrance, turning around, swimming back in. The entrance is not that "closed" with gravel anymore. Maybe an invader? I don't want to lift the coconut in case everything is fine, so I'll just wait.

Ok, maybe they are not fast breeding. I just watch too closely sometimes 8O :mrgreen: .

The female is still in the coconut house, seldomly coming out to find a little food and the male is swimming in front of the entrance in a 3-4" radius, keeping invaders away. So far no agression. All they do is swim towards somebody who gets very close and then they'll leave by themselves :lol: .

The dwarf gourami is really an a@%$#hole though. He always swims extra close (up to an inch) to provoce the male, although he has 70gal to swim in and should be a top dweller anyway. And then they get into a little fight of course. I guess he's just got to learn. The male Krib even seems to be a little scared of the gourami since he is just shooting foreward, but not really going at it :lol: - chicken. Well, actually it's good that they're not that agressive :wink: .

The Geraman Blue Rams ton't care at all, they are not getting very close (into that little 5" radius) and so they are fine. The endlers are getting closer and just get shooed away. The Otos don't count, they mainly ignore them completely.

I've raised three different batches of kribs from the same parents and actually just sold my last 20 this week.

Anyways, I speak from my personal experience only. I got to see my female lay her eggs and dad going upside to fertilize them. Not just once, but 4 times to make sure he got them all. If I recall correctly, they spawned on a Wednesday night and by Saturday morning they were only wiggling. They weren't actually free swimming until that following Friday. It could have been sooner, but mom didn't bring them out until then.

So, i'm sure the time frame is different for many different reasons. The above metioned was her very first spawn so that could have made a difference too. Anyways, Congrats!! :D

Right. The eggs should hatch in about 48 hours. At this point the fry are wigglers. It should take another 48 hours for them to consume their yolk sacs and become free swimming.

As the fry get larger they also become more adventerous. The parents will try and keep them in as tight a unit as they can but eventually it gets to be too large a chore. This is the danger point for the other fish in the tank. Even if your other fish don't see the fry as food, the krib parents are apt to see them as a threat.

Fawn, have your kribs spawned in a community tank? Do you agree with that possible scenario? When I spawned kribs several years ago, they always had their own tank.

I agree Brian, I haven't had any luck with a spawning in a community tank. I'm trying that right now. I've got a trio in my community tank and will see what happens.

When I put my other pair in their own 26 gallon long tank, they wouldn't stop spawning, even with the first 2 batches still in the tank. When I first started breeding them, I was told they wouldn't spawn again until I removed the prior batch, well I proved them wrong.

I immediately removed as much as I could possibly remove to a seperate grow out tank before the 2nd batch hatched. The parents will kill any remain fry and the fry will eat the new batch. It was a three ring circus for me. Over all, I had over 100+ fry with my pair in their own tank.

So far the male and female are still protecting the coconut cave. The mom is allowed to get some food every now and then and the dad sits in the coconut house instead then waiting for her to come back.

They seem to share the work pretty good so far. And they should bring them out every day now, since they spawned last Monday the 7th.

so was the coconut house you used form your lfs or could you use any half coconut. If i send you some pics of my aquarium could you tell me if its suited for kribs.

sorry, not trying to detract from your post tiffi. Just excited thats all.

Thanks

The coconut house was from my lfs. I bought it there mainly because it wasn't very exspensive and looked natural. Nevertheless, I've heard it many times before that people just build the coconut caves themselves.

You could just buy a coconut (your luck, it's season right now around Christmas), drill a whole in the side, cut it in half, take the flesh out and if you want to make sure it's "clean" you can boil it in a pot before putting it into the tank. As long as you can get it somewhere cheap I would do that and avoid the work :mrgreen: .

You can send me whatever pictures you like and I can give you my opinion on it. Although I think it will be fine, as long as you have a nice cave (since they are cave-spawners), some plants (every fish feels better like that), no sharp gravel (they will dig inside the cave and nearly close the entrance), good water quality, ... - short a happy fish will breed :wink: . But go ahead if you want and send me the picture.

THEY ARE FREE SWIMMING!

Just looked into my tank and there is the female sitting behind the coconut house with a bunch of little Kribs!! So adorable! Whenever one wanders off too far, she takes them into her mouth and spits them out where all the others are. Right now they are all kinda on the bottom of the tank, looking for food. Really cute :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: !

Pictures!

baby1.jpg

baby2.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom