Kribensis tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
Next week I will have an 20 gallon long ready to be stocked. I am thinking of setting it up as a dedicated Kribensis tank. I had a beautiful pair in the past and always regretted getting rid of them. I was going through a fish ADD phase :oops:

So I am planing to only have a pair of kribenisis to see if I can breed them. Should I start out with 4 and see if a pair forms or get a m/f and hope for the best?

It has sand bottom large drift wood and a bunch of fake plants. the drift wood forms a cave. do I need to get flower pots? I really hate the loos of those. I like to keep things looking natural.

I know some fish prefer dither fish are kribensis one of them? I will add some cherry barbs if this is the case.

Why breed something everyone has/has had? I'd recommend looking into the other species and locales of the genus pelvicachromis, like taeniatus. Or better yet, go with some South American dwarves instead, like apistogramma, laetacara, dicrossus, ivannacara, or nannacara

You do not *need* flower pots, but they sure do help with breeding. Without them, just make sure to provide plenty of driftwood.

Most peaceful dwarf species do better with dithers, but I'd why away from cherry barbs, as I can see them raiding the nests easily. I'd go with a tighter schooling species, like cardinals, rummynose, or black neons

Why breed something everyone has/has had? I'd recommend looking into the other species and locales of the genus pelvicachromis, like taeniatus. Or better yet, go with some South American dwarves instead, like apistogramma, laetacara, dicrossus, ivannacara, or nannacara

You do not *need* flower pots, but they sure do help with breeding. Without them, just make sure to provide plenty of driftwood.

Most peaceful dwarf species do better with dithers, but I'd why away from cherry barbs, as I can see them raiding the nests easily. I'd go with a tighter schooling species, like cardinals, rummynose, or black neons

I am having good luck with pristellas. I've heard of some people having trouble keeping rummys with them because of how fragile the rummys are. I have a flower pot in my tank but mine staked their claim underneath a bridge in my driftwood and seem to be more than happy there. Anyways, by no means am I am expert. Just telling you my experience.

My pristella are extremely dosile, i have kept them in groups with rosy tet, lemon tet and harliquin rasb and were always the subdominant tetra in my tank

Mine tend to stay away from the kribs at all cost, but they are a lot hardier than other tetras IME.

Next week I will have an 20 gallon long ready to be stocked. I am thinking of setting it up as a dedicated Kribensis tank. I had a beautiful pair in the past and always regretted getting rid of them. I was going through a fish ADD phase :oops:

So I am planing to only have a pair of kribenisis to see if I can breed them. Should I start out with 4 and see if a pair forms or get a m/f and hope for the best?

It has sand bottom large drift wood and a bunch of fake plants. the drift wood forms a cave. do I need to get flower pots? I really hate the loos of those. I like to keep things looking natural.

I know some fish prefer dither fish are kribensis one of them? I will add some cherry barbs if this is the case.

I've kept kribs in a 30g tank, and when a pair forms, they can get pretty nasty toward the others. I had three for a while, and I really had to make sure the "third wheel" krib had plenty of hiding places. If I were starting a 20g, I'd go for two and hope for the best.

I was able to breed them on two different occasions. As I recall (this was a long time ago), the first time the female laid her eggs in a small flower pot. It was a community tank, and I didn't remove any of the fry, so despite the admirable efforts of the parents, the fry were slowly picked off one by one. None survived in the end.

The second time they bred, the female laid her eggs on a piece of driftwood. Again, the fry were slowly picked off until only two remained. These survived and were with me for many years. In fact, I'm pretty sure one of the two kribs I still have was one of those two fry.

They are great fish, and it was fascinating to watch the eggs start to shimmy and then slowly turn into free-swimming fry. The whole group of them (30? 40? they were impossible to count!) would follow Mom around the tank, while Dad chased off any fish that got too close. Awesome stuff.

First because I like Kribs. Second because there aren't allot of options around me and I don't want to mail order. There is one half way decent LFS store near me and the only dwarfs they have are Kribs and various Rams. I love GBR's but I know 20 gallon is two small for a pair.

The second time they bred, the female laid her eggs on a piece of driftwood. Again, the fry were slowly picked off until only two remained. These survived and were with me for many years. In fact, I'm pretty sure one of the two kribs I still have was one of those two fry.

They are great fish, and it was fascinating to watch the eggs start to shimmy and then slowly turn into free-swimming fry. The whole group of them (30? 40? they were impossible to count!) would follow Mom around the tank, while Dad chased off any fish that got too close. Awesome stuff.

That sounds cool I cant wait to try.

First because I like Kribs. Second because there aren't allot of options around me and I don't want to mail order. There is one half way decent LFS store near me and the only dwarfs they have are Kribs and various Rams. I love GBR's but I know 20 gallon is two small for a pair.

Kribensis get larger than blue or Bolivian rams?

Yes they do! ( I know you know that just agreeing)

I made a mistake in my reading I thought it was the Kribs that need a 20 and GBR need 50 but it was the other way around. So not doing kribs anyways. the 20 gallon turned into a hospital/grow out tank Saturday. One of MY EBJD's got beat up so my two EBJD's will be in there for a while. I might try breeding GBR rams after they grow out.

Back
Top Bottom