Kribensis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
I saw some Kribensis (3) today at my LFS... they were beautiful! I was just wondering if I could get more info on them? Would just a pair be ok in the 29? I dont know anything about them and even if I cant currently keep them I would love to learn more about them.
Thanks

They are very peaceful. You can keep a pair in a 29 with no problem. They do well with other peaceful fish.

I have a personal dislike for the little buggers, but that is my bad experience with them. In my experience, they are vicious suckers when in breeding behavior, and pretty mean after any spawn, even if there are no fry left. Let's see, they have killed 4 zebra danios, 1 angelfish, 3 GBR, mutilated one betta and so on. This was in a 55 true and 38 gallon.

Others I know of have had success in keeping them in the community setting, but it is really up to the individual fish, each fish is unique.

Last edited:
Now that is odd, I have known many to keep kribs and have no problems. But every fish is different. Although they like most cichlids can be more aggressive at breeding. My angelfish are very aggressive at breeding times and very peaceful all other times.

Lol, yeah but with kribs and the water here, they are always breeding, as soon as they had matured they were as bad as endlers! :p

I know one person with a pair in a 45 gallon with kuhli loaches and so far the kribs are afraid of the kuhlies. With my pair it was mainly the female that was aggressive, but the male tagged along and beat a little bit on the fish, they killed the smaller angel but no fish in the tank would dare touch ol' neanderangel.:devilish:

Interesting. I have geo's that are constantly breeding and while they are passive when not breeding, but they are aggressive when breeding. Unfortunately I am in the same boat as you were, I have to decide whether to try and keep them or not.

My advice is try them and have a back up plan in case you end up with avid breeders.

I had a male and 3 females in a 65g community tank with GBRs, Apistogrammas 2 differnt species dwarf frogs and ghost shrimp. They where a little mean when spawning but never killed anything. Not even the ghost shrimp and even had shrimplets from the shrimp. But I have heard of a mean male killing before spawning. But not after they've got eggs.

Do you still have the Apistos in the 29g? If so I'd be hesitant about putting Kribs in with them. I've heard they are nasty buggers, especially when breeding and IMO a 29g doesn't provide enough space for 2 species of Dwarf Cichlids.

Do you still have the Apistos in the 29g? If so I'd be hesitant about putting Kribs in with them. I've heard they are nasty buggers, especially when breeding and IMO a 29g doesn't provide enough space for 2 species of Dwarf Cichlids.
apistos? I never had any :(
I had GBR's, but I did not have any luck with them :(
Well, since this thread has be brought back to life, I am thinking of setting up a 20l for kribs... :)

You can get better stock from someone online who has kept and bred them. Then a store who doesn't know anything about the fish in the first place. Ionly buy my Apistogrammas from a breeder and not a store. better stock on line!!

I have bought fish online several times and never had any problems with it. Just make sure they are experienced in packing etc.

I have a pair of kribs and ive enjoyed their company inmensely, So far mine are very peacefull and tried to spawn once without harming any of their tank mates. I keep them in a 20 gal tank along with 6 neons and two corys. (I know its a little crowded! )....I had quite a time trying to get a pair that "liked" each other. about 6 trips to and from the LFS. but these finaly settled in, and hopefully will atempt to breed again soon.

Attachments

• P3080029 (Small).jpg
    P3080029 (Small).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
i had mine in a tank with mollies and corries and one day i checked on my tank and my mollie's fin was torn in half and my cories' fins and barbels were gone. so i guess i didnt get the peaceful one!!!

Back
Top Bottom