Kuhli Loach!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WattsySSFC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just bought myself 2 new kuhli loaches for my tank. They are fitting in nicely with my angels and albino longfin BN. They do keep to themselves alot but love each others company.

I've just recently been introduced to this fish and am falling in love lol will be buying 2 striped ones soon to go with them. Anyone else share my fascination with these guys? Share your pics if you'd like :)

My girlfriend calls mine "worm things" lol I have had 4 for about 3 years now and they still entertain me :)

My girlfriend calls mine "worm things" lol I have had 4 for about 3 years now and they still entertain me :)

How long do they live? And how big are yours? Id love to see a pic if you have one..

I have no Idea how long they live? Maybe someone else knows? But mine are around 3 inches maybe a little more for the biggest 1 and just tried to get a pic but the see me coming and disappeared so I will try again later

I have no Idea how long they live? Maybe someone else knows? But mine are around 3 inches maybe a little more for the biggest 1 and just tried to get a pic but the see me coming and disappeared so I will try again later

Dont go out of your way too much for the pic. Im just interested. I just bought mine and they are about 1 1/2-2 inches. Couldnt find them any smaller. Look forward to seeing them double in size :)

Kuhli loaches are cool fish but some stores sell loaches that are too young and delicate.

They are cool, but they have a huge downside... You cant ever see them!!!

My experience with this was this in a nutshell:

day 1: put them in the tank (were 2" long)
day 365 (1 year) : moved tank to a new apartment, took me 20 minutes to catch all 3, and they had grown from 2" to 3"
day 366: put them back in the tank
day 1095 (3 years): moved tanks to a new apartment, took me 15 minutes (getting better) to catch all 3. They had grown to 3.5"
day 701: put them back in the tank
day 1460 (4 years): finally moved tank to our newly bought home. took me 10 minutes to catch 2 (one had died apparently), they now about 4"
day 1461: Moved them to new tank.
day 1825 (5 years) searched the tank for them to break down my 55 gal, and transfer into a 135 gallon, but none were found. Apparently all had passed away.

Those are the only times I ever saw them. They are cool to have in that it is a nice surprise to see them a few times total, but sadly, I will probably never get them again as they add to a bioload without any reward. :(

I must have some special ones then, mine are out 24/7 and aren't afraid to have their picture taken either

Attachments

• image-3785538639.jpg
    image-3785538639.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 50
  • image-2528675266.jpg
    image-2528675266.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 54
I must have some special ones then, mine are out 24/7 and aren't afraid to have their picture taken either

He is at least double the size of mine by the looks of it. And i have to agree with you on this one, maybe we are lucky i dont know but mine have plenty of places to hide and are still more than happy to come out to play about half of the time :)

I do love mine for their activity level, but I've been considering putting them into my 55g, they're not bullies by any means but it seems they're super clumsy and run into my other fish haha. I think they hack off my corys

I do love mine for their activity level, but I've been considering putting them into my 55g, they're not bullies by any means but it seems they're super clumsy and run into my other fish haha. I think they hack off my corys

Yes i know what you mean. Are they blind? They share the bottom of my tank with a bristlenose and run into it all the time lol the bristlenose doesnt seem to enjoy it very much either.

What do you feed them? So far mine go nuts for algae wafers.

They eat anything I put in the tank haha. I have a betta tank underneath my 20gl so lately I've been putting in some omega one betta buffet and they go completely insane for that stuff

Back
Top Bottom