Kuhli loaches and shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonibelle

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just wondering if Kuhli Loaches and Cherry Red Shrimp would be compatible tank mates in a planted 30 gallon tank ? I have two shrimp and would like to get two more and maybe some loaches..if they can coexist. Thanks for any suggestions

Should be fine. If the loaches come across shrimplets that are bite sized, I am sure they would eat them, but adults rcs should be totally fine. Kuhlis are scavengers and very predatory at all.

From everything I've read about tankmates for shrimp, only Otos are a safe bet. Everything else might or will for sure eat them. But I'm still new to the hobby so I may not have all the facts. My tank so far is just RCS and Otos and from what I've seen they get along splendidly.

Most fish will indeed eat anything that fits in their mouths. Kuhlis are not very predatory though, so thats why they would probably be ok with rcs. But don't expect the rcs to never lose any tiny shrimplets to the kuhlis. Like Kharrnn said, even nano fish will eat shrimplets. But adult rcs would be an impossibly huge bite for something with a mouth as tiny as a kuhli's mouth. Some other fish will peck at the shrimp even if they can't eat them, but IME kuhlis are not amung those fish. :)

I am totally amazed with these little shrimp. I have had tanks off and on for years but I don't remember these little fellows. So as strange as it sounds, I kind of want to build my tank family around them. Thanks for your help. :)

Besides plants, RCS were the first thing I put in my tank. I'm fascinated with inverts in general though.

Just wondering if Kuhli Loaches and Cherry Red Shrimp would be compatible tank mates in a planted 30 gallon tank ? I have two shrimp and would like to get two more and maybe some loaches..if they can coexist. Thanks for any suggestions

I've had my kuhlis in community tanks with a large variety of species. They've even schooled with krib fry which were smaller than adult RCS. In my opinion, kuhlis can successfully live with any species that does not consider them to be lunch. I don't think you'd have an issue. Shrimplets bounce around when they feel another fish is too close and kuhlis aren't smart enough to give chase. Lazy bums. ;)

I keep my RCS with a variety of corys, assassin snails and ottos.

We have black kuhli loaches and they lived peacefully with ghost shrimp for a long time. Not exactly the same situation, but I don't see you having a problem. My kuhli loaches sift sand and swim around like drunken crazies, but they don't harm anything.

Back
Top Bottom