Kuhli loaches in a 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdude25

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey Everyone!
I have a 10 gallon tank that had blue rilli shrimp in it, but they died because not enough water changes (major time constraint due to PSEO college courses) :(

I was thinking that I would give Kuhli loaches a try. I was doing some research earlier. How many Kuhli loaches could I have in my 10 gallon? And do they need any special care?
BTW, the 10 gallon has an AquaClear 30 filter.

Thanks so much! :thanks:

-Fishdude25

Ok! Thanks!

And, what do they eat? I have NLS and shrimp pellets. Would they eat either of those?

Thanks again!

-Fishdude25

I believe they scavenge through the sand and are mostly nocturnal. I could very well be wrong here.

That tank has black sand that I think they would like. =D
The tank has driftwood, a lot of java moss, and a few aponogeton plants. Do you know if Kuhlis need a cave or something to hide in?

Thanks so much!

-fishdude25

My kuhli loach loved shrimp pellets, flake, brine shrimp and bloodworm.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't have a cave in that tank, but there is some driftwood. Should I get a small cave or something for them to hide in?
I could get one (if needed) when I go to the LFS. I might get the kuhlis today.

Thanks so much! You guys have been a huge help.
:thanks:

-fishdude25

Mine liked hiding under the driftwood, i also had clay pipes that you can use for shrimp they use to enjoy going in there as well.

Okay! Awesome! Thank you! I think I might get some kuhlis later today after I clean the tank.
Where did you get the clay pipes? I might get one.

:thanks:

-fishdude25

I got mine from my lfs you can also get pvc pipes which they cut to the size you need.

Ok! I'll take a look at my LFS later. Thanks shellyx! I'll post pictures when I get them in the tank =D

Oh brother, I feel bad for not seeing this earlier, but a 10 gallon is unfortunately too small for them, they get 4 inches, and are super active

Could I put them in my 75 gallon once they're big enough not to get eaten by my angel fish?

Oh no problem, I have mine with angelfish with no problem, just fast, they don't like small tanks

If you can, try to feed them some frozen or live food at least once a week or more if possible. They love worms and larvae, like fruit fly larvae.

Microworms are tiny, but they live for days in the tank and they can root them out of the substrate. My loaches love to hide under wood or rocks, and explore every nook and cranny, when they aren't looking for dinner.

Make sure any rocks are smooth, rough ones can damage their sensitive skins.

Edit. frozen foods like blood worm, daphnia, baby brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, all are great. Fruit fly larvae are not found frozen, you have to raise the flightless fruit flies to get those. But my loaches adore the fly larvae.. they swarm all over them when I put some in.

My kuhlis looved the blood worms. And its really fun watching them suck them up haha.

Also I put LIVE brine into my tank (its freshwater sk they die in 48hrs tops) and the kuhlis I had would eat the ones that fell to the substrate after dying. Live brine are cheap and everyone eats em

20long hitech/10gal shrimptech

Back
Top Bottom